OWB Regulations in New York State

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lawandorder

Mar 17, 2008
upstate new york
Does anyone have the current regulations for OWBs in New York State. I have seen some material on proposed regulations but is there anything in place now. ALso does anyone know if the new regulations apply to current installed OWB s as far as set backs and stack height etc.... Thanks

I think it is all still by town. At least that is how the bans seem to be going.

lawandorder said:
Does anyone have the current regulations for OWBs in New York State. I have seen some material on proposed regulations but is there anything in place now. ALso does anyone know if the new regulations apply to current installed OWB s as far as set backs and stack height etc.... Thanks

Huge disclaimer:
I don't know any of the details about NYS' possible regulations on this topic.

However, most often, many forms of regulations tend to be restricted to new installations, with pre-existing situations allowed to continue at least until some significant change occurs or replacement is needed (and as long as they did not violate any standard that was in effect when they were built).

This is not always the case- regulations _can_ (and sometimes do) prohibit existing situations.

But governments and law/ rule- makers tend to act on more of a going-forward basis- it triggers less angry response from people who already did something that was OK at the time that they did it.

Check for yourself, as one never knows what someone may propose, and what it intentionally or unintentionally may impose as restrictions.

Read any regs, or proposed regs, yourself, and don't rely on rumors or news stories (nothing against reporters, but I've sometimes seen huge errors in how the press covers regulatory topics).

Status
Not open for further replies.