OWB shut down for the summer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

plumbob

Dec 15, 2008
wisconsin
my owb is done running for the summer. i cleaned out all the ash and swept the chimney. do i need to clean the layer of creosote/tar from the firebox?? i scraped and scraped, but it is pretty tough. i'm guessing this will protect the metal. i leave the blower fan run to create a draft in the summer time so humidity/condensation dosn't build up. i noticed that when i do this, i have no humidity/moisture in the unit at all during the summer. from what i was told, i should just worry about keeping it clean of ash. any suggestions are welcome.

plumbob said:
my owb is done running for the summer. i cleaned out all the ash and swept the chimney. do i need to clean the layer of creosote/tar from the firebox?? i scraped and scraped, but it is pretty tough. i'm guessing this will protect the metal. i leave the blower fan run to create a draft in the summer time so humidity/condensation dosn't build up. i noticed that when i do this, i have no humidity/moisture in the unit at all during the summer. from what i was told, i should just worry about keeping it clean of ash. any suggestions are welcome.

I once climbed in a use a needle scaler and scrapped it down to metal. What a pain and extremely dirty...the next year I just scrapped everything really well and put a 5 gallon bucket over the chimney. Something I learned here is to use a 40 watt light bulb in the firebox to keep condensation down...this would be cheaper than running the fan all summer and I think it would accomplish the same thing. This is what I'm going to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.