Ozark Hardwoods

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr._Graybeard

Feeling the Heat
Apr 27, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
I bought into the local Tractor Supply early buy program, anticipating that they would have Pro Pellets. Unfortunately, that didn't happen, and instead I had a choice between Indecks and Ozark Hardwood pellets. I've burned Indecks in the past and knew I didn't want 4 tons of them, so I loaded up on Ozark Hardwoods.

They don't seem to have had a lot of reviews, but the limited consensus I've been able to find suggests they burn well but are ashy. I'm wondering if anybody has some additional comments from firsthand experience. I have not burned any yet.

I've opened a bag (actually, a couple opened for me) and my visual impression is that the pellets are quite dark. It makes me wonder if the bark content is high, but I'm also aware that southwest Missouri (where the plant is located) is walnut country. The manufacturer says they make their pellets from sawdust. Whether they get their sawdust from lumber mills or whole ground-up trees is unclear.

The pellets are also on the long side and fines content is quite low. They seem dense, like Pro Pellets or Somersets.

OK, so I've burned a few bags of these. They seem to give off good heat. They produce a fair amount of ash, but I'm not getting many clinkers. So far, so good.

Another update for those who are interested in pellets from Ozark Hardwood Products of Seymour, Mo. I've burned about a dozen bags. The pellets are dense. I found an article that says the company produces pellets from whole logs as well as lumber mill waste. Very little "popcorning" occurs as the pellets burn, and the ash itself seems heavy. Fly ash production is low, and heat-exchange tubes and flue stay cleaner than they have with some lighter hardwood pellets I've used, like Indecks.

Heat production is good, on a par with Pro Pellets. I'll do a head to head comparison with Somersets as the winter wears on.

This is good to hear... At my local tsc they have these, lignetics and olympus douglar fir pellets... I can not decide which one to go with, i need to start buying a some tons before the price goes up or a shortage occurs...

Have you tried olympus? what are your thoughts with the ozarks versus lignetics?

I can also get those indeck energy pellets also.

All these are right around 250/ton

Haven't seen Olympus or Lignetics in my area, but If I could get doug fir pellets for the same price as hardwoods, I'd very probably go with the firs over any hardwood. For Ozarks and Indecks, $250 per ton is overpriced. For the firs, it's reasonable.

Status
Not open for further replies.