p-43 and pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lock&load

Jan 19, 2006
east windsor ct
had a p-43 in the old house and it worked good ,moved two yrs ago and brought another for the next house ,have been burning okies for the past two months ,but could not find them last dec for a good price or they were out of stock ,ordered two tons trumans ,and i am NOT impressed ,yes less ash but what there is, is like concrete ,and the stove doesnt light very good and i cleaned it good before the changeover,and find i have to clean it at least twice a wk so it will start, i can also feel the differcence in the heat they throw ,and the trumans have been going thru this stove at twice the rate to make the same heat or at least somewhere near it ,in the comming off season i Will be stocking up with the okies maybe iam just spoiled now ,but you DO get what you pay for ,

Okies were a bit tough to get with the mill upgrade fiasco at upton. Should be all figured out by now. Surprised to hear you didn't like the Turmans. Don't hear many complaints about them.

You getting your pellets from CJ's?

ya i orderd from them (the okies) but they ran out early ,have tried to adjust the feed rate ,but the same result ,NOT enough heat ,the ash is really like cement,even the ignighter does not what to work unless you clean out the pot, got the trumans from them ,just tried to light the stove took 15min to start ?

See if they will exchange them? They might have Okies. Might also want to try the Douglas Fir pellets too.

What kind of stove do you have?

I burn turmans in my p61 and havent opened the door in weeks. Heck the glass is still clean except for a little haze on the sides. All the dates on my bags are 3-12 if that makes a difference. I know its not the same stove but from the same family so i wouold expect similar results. Did the pellets have any possibility of getting damp?

I burn Turman in my Harman quite often. My favorite but the ash is hard and dense. Every morning, when I pour pellets in, I open the front door and scrape the ash away from the burn pot. I do this every night as well. It takes maybe 4 seconds if I dog it. Try this and I am willing to bet you fall in love with them.

i do scrap the pot ,BUT not everytime it starts up! and no the pellets are not damp ,that was my first thought,they are stored in the garage along with a 3/4 ton of okies that has been there since last 2011

They are not damp. CJ's stores and handles their pellets well, and everything is kept inside.( And know that I say that knowing he is probably now my biggest competitor!) So rule that out. Understand that when wood burns, the "ash" that is left over is all of the inorganic matter in the wood plus any foreign contaminants.(ie. dirt, sand, gravel etc) Because Turman is such a clean wood, there are nor other impurities in the ash other than the inorganic minerals that are found in the fiberous wood of an oak tree. These include (but are not limited to) iron, magnesium, calcium, and zinc. They are naturally occurring in almost all living organisms, including us! Because Turman tends to burn so hot (due to its low moisture content) these minerals tend to "fuse" together, creating a harder ash. And because there is no other foreign impurities such as dirt or sand, there is nothing to "break up" the ash as it is created. Now, I understand that all of the explanation in the world will not get someone to "like" something that they don't like. Therefore, next season, go with what works for you. And if Okanagan is the answer, then you will not be alone....They are great pellets and there are many people (Salty excluded) who think that is the pellet for them. I've said it a hundred times....There is no right answer for you, except that which you determine is best for you.

Thats a very good answer and explains it perfectly. You should be a wood pellet dealer with that kind of knowledge.:p

Thats a very good answer and explains it perfectly. You should be a wood pellet dealer with that kind of knowledge.:p
I hear it doesn't pay as nearly well as my current gig- Piano man at the local brothel!

Status
Not open for further replies.