p-43 next tuesday ,throughts please on placement?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lock&load

Jan 19, 2006
east windsor ct
new install going to be next tuesday harmon p-43, going to put it upstairs so i can have the blower aimed down the hallway, will go right under the mirror on out side wall, throught about a insert, but that would fire right at the couch,will use oil to take the chill off downstairs , thoughts?

Attachments

• 100_2383.jpg
    100_2383.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 199
  • 100_2384.jpg
    100_2384.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 191
Even with the distribution blower on high, I doubt you'll move heat down that hall way.
You don't say how great that distance is, or how big that room where the install is,
but from my experience, unless you assist the blower with a ceiling or a floor fan,
you're not really gonna feel the heat "moving."
The area in front of the stove will warm up & after it has run for a while that
warmth will begin to heat more & more of the room, but I really don't believe you'll
get too much down that hallway...
My P43's warm air flow from the distribution blower could be felt 12, maybe 15 feet
from the unit & not too much more....YMMV
My install is in our kitchen (19ft x 15 ft = 285 sf) in our walk out basement, & one wall
of the basement is facing a lake to the North. Minimal sunlight & constant breeze.
In the winter "the Hawk" blows across that ice cube & the basement floor gets crazy cold.
Since I put the P43 in, I can walk in the kitchen in my bare feet without dancing &
it may be that the cold slab is absorbing or fighting against that warm air flow...
I wanted to feel that heat make it to the next room, so I'm moving my P43 to my garage
& installing a P61A in it's place this friday...
I will report on the performance when the season is upon us...
Good luck with your P43. It's a good little workhorse. Mine runs 3 weeks solid - 42 bags - before I shut
down & clean from top to bottom. After 42 minutes (Best personal Time!), I fire back up & run for
another three weeks. Every other day I scrape the burnpot & maybe once or twice a week I'll wipe the
glass with a wad of newspaper, but that's it.

hallway is 45ft long from the stove , i know i wont feel it in the back bedroom and the kitchen wall is 27ft or 22 ft from where the stove will go ,the open space is 28x28 thats dining liveing and kitchen areas ,i do plan on helping it along with some fans also giving some thought to a used p-38 in the downstairs had one at the old house bearly ticking over and it did a nice job there ,PS whole house is 2400sqft

Depending on how old your home is & how well it's insulated,
there's really no way to know how warm the P43 will keep it.
Your 28x28 room is right about the MAX heating area for that
unit in an area with AVERAGE insulation (2x4s w/R-13)...
More insulation will help it along, but you may have to give
it a shot for one winter until you have some history with it.
I don't know how bad your winters are over there & that's
another issue to be factored into the equation...

Status
Not open for further replies.