P.E. Vista Classic

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Charlie0742001

Oct 6, 2006
I finally got my red Vista Classic up and running! I love it except for the small fire box. It looks great and heats up nicely. A few questions. What are some ways that you get the fire started quickly? How long must the fire burn before I turn the air supply down without killing the fire? After the first burn, the window looks a little dirty on the sides; what do I clean it with? Once again, thanks for all the help, Roospike.Anyone else out there with the Vista Classic?

Newtofire said:
I finally got my red Vista Classic up and running! I love it except for the small fire box. It looks great and heats up nicely.
Super , Got to get some pictures , you know how we are about new stoves and pictures. ;-)

A few questions. What are some ways that you get the fire started quickly?
Kindling , small splits , starter log pieces , ect ....

How long must the fire burn before I turn the air supply down without killing the fire?
You need to get a good coal bed going first and about 1' of ash in the bottom of the stove is the best bet to a new fire before going for the log burn / shutting down to 15%
You can get a stove top thermometer or pipe thermometer and watch your temps .

Make sure one you have a coal bed going that any new splits or reload of wood gets a good char before turning down , I normally add wood and let it run wide open for a minute or two then turn down the air damper to about 70% and let the wood char for around 10 minutes or so and then turn the air damper down to around 25% and after seeing that the wood is burning fine than you can turn it down even more ( 10% - closed )
It will also depend on how much wood your loading , how hot the stove is , how much coal you have left to start with , what kind of wood , how large of wood.

#1 is a good coal bed going first. #2 make sure you let the wood char before turning down when adding new wood or bigger wood to your coal bed.

After the first burn, the window looks a little dirty on the sides; what do I clean it with?

When lighting the stove or even when add new wood the flame is the key , if your window is getting dirty you may need more flame ( kindling / starter log pieces ) and the air inlet open and dont over load with big wood that sits there and smokes for a long time , always start small when starting and keep the flame hot.

Once again, thanks for all the help, Roospike.Anyone else out there with the Vista Classic?
No problem brotherman , hope you enjoy your new stove for many years! Getting used to a new stove and how it works just takes some time.

More questions ? just keep asking.

Status
Not open for further replies.