P38 Feeder Body Clogging with tar

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

memcneills

Jul 28, 2010
Western Maine
Hey All,
I have a P38+...I was having feed problems and discovered that the pellets weren't making it from the push plate to the burn pot. The feeder body, which includes the push plate is clogging with MUCH sticky tar. I can dig at it with a long screwdriver from the rear entrance of the auger hole. Is there a better way to clean this part? It appears to be sealed or welded without access. This stuff is like HARD tar, tough to get out. Any help would be appreciated.
Dan

memcneills said:
Hey All,
I have a P38+...I was having feed problems and discovered that the pellets weren't making it from the push plate to the burn pot. The feeder body, which includes the push plate is clogging with MUCH sticky tar. I can dig at it with a long screwdriver from the rear entrance of the auger hole. Is there a better way to clean this part? It appears to be sealed or welded without access. This stuff is like HARD tar, tough to get out. Any help would be appreciated.
Dan

This is a "gummy" stove. Harman has some issues with this on some models under some circumstances. You may fall into this catagory. The good news, the creosote resin can be cleaned out with warm water. The bad, the stove needs to be completely dissembled to do it. How old is the stove? It may be under warranty. There is a modification which can be made to try and prevent this in the future. PM me and I'll send you some literature or search the forum under gummy stove.

here is the link: https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/50345/

Thanks for the reply! I bought the house with the stove, so no clue how old. How long are typical warranties? I know who installed it, maybe I should contact them? If it's out of warranty, I would rather fix things myself if possible. Thanks, Dan

memcneills said:
I bought the house with the stove...

Given you are not the original owner I think you may be out of warranty. This fact alone has results in SO much business for me. PM your address to me, if I'm in the area any time soon (I go to Maine once a week) I'll stop by and give you some pointers..no charge.

Also amazes me that dealers do not put service stickers on the stoves they sell....

I am about to install the up date kit myself on my p38 part number 1-00-67900. The directions are a littlr vague. Dose anyone have pictures of it actuly installed. I think it would help a lot. Thanks in advance. Peter

crossover air tube will fix it

Not the dreaded "gummy stove syndrome" again!

There is lots of hits in the search engine here with people talking about that issue's. A stove repairmans money making dream come true! My only major Harman repair to date and it wasn't fun either! I still have nightmares from it!

Today I striped the whole thing down to the bones. Cleaned everything to new condtion installed the update kit and resealed. I most likley didn't need to go that far in the tear down but I figured it's been six years of sludge and gum at least one or two times a season. With only a quick fix clean. Running now good as new. I just want to thank everyone on this site for all there help and advice. If it was not for your help I would have most likley spent $3,000 on a new stove instead of $38 on the repair kit 3 gaslets and some sealer. Thanks agine everyone. Wish me luck. I am keeping my fingers crossed but only time will tell.

The Cross over tube should do the trick, I have instaledl a few of them in Accentra's and have made a world on difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.