P38 popping/snapping noise

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

P38X2

Minister of Fire
Mar 11, 2012
Jaffrey, NH
Hi, guys.

For about 3 weeks my newer P38 has been making a popping noise when the auger is turning. The noise kinda faded into the distance as I dismissed it as the auger snapping longer pellets. It has gotten progressively louder and I decided to check it out. First off, I highly doubt it's the pellets. Their lengths are all under 1 1/4" with most being approx 3/4". The stove was brand new and has had approx 35 bags through it so I can't imagine the fines box being full is the culprit. There is no significant carbon build up at the front of the auger and that area in general looks good.

I emptied the hopper and ran the stove in test mode and noticed the noise seems to be correlated with the little slide door at the bottom opening and closing, closing in particular.

Any ideas?

Upon closer inspection it seems to be left/right play in the auger motor shaft. As it spins, the bearing rides around the hopper slide door actuator thingy. When it first makes contact, it snaps fairly quietly but as the bearing comes off it snaps loudly as the tension is released.

What's my next step? Im assuming my dealer is gonna have to replace the auger motor under warranty as it did not make this noise when it was new.

Next step that's easy, pick up the phone and call the dealer. It's his problem.

Tom C.

Clean your stove, including the slide plate, and if the problem persists then call the dealer

With only 35 bags being run through, there should not be any problems, call the dealer. That's why there are warranties.

Tom C.

open up the fines box, pull the slide plate, and make sure there is nothing in there. warranties protect you from manufacturer defects, not from foreign objects in feeder body.

We used to be a harman dealer and from a dealer stand point i would want my customer to call me the 2nd there is a problem so we could address it. BUt that is just how i would feel :)

open up the fines box, pull the slide plate, and make sure there is nothing in there. warranties protect you from manufacturer defects, not from foreign objects in feeder body.

Just spoke with the dealer and that's pretty much what one of the techs said. He said Harman redesigned the slide plate with a slight ramp on the end of it. He seems to think it's causing material to get dragged under the plate easier. He gave me a straightened/shortened plate to try. Ultimately he feels the issue will be resolved by removing whatever debris is binding it up. Like me, he was also surprised there could even be an issue after only 35 bags.

Strangely, while I'm sitting here writing this, I just realized the noise is gone! I never actually cleaned the fines box as the vacuum would have woken my daughter up. There was hardly anything in there anyway but apparently whatever was causing the issue worked its way out on its own......and hopefully was burned to a crisp for pissing me off! I'm gonna hold off replacing the slide plate for now and I'll post if it starts again.

Thanks for all the replies and once again the "clean your stove before panicking" concept holds true.

Status
Not open for further replies.