P43 hopper extension question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scajjr2

Feeling the Heat
Dec 9, 2010
Kingston, NH
Considering adding a hopper extension to our 2013 P43. The question I have is does mine have a hopper switch? I don't see one anywhere (just has the plastic latch). Harman's site says if your stove has one you need the switch kit but doesn't tell you how you'd know.

Probably going to get the extension as it seems the other difference in burning softwood pellets after 2 years of Greene Team hardwood (way less ash with the Vermonts) is they seem to stick to each other so they don't fall as well after the center drops into the auger. Figure with the extension at least I won't worry about it going out from no pellets being fed while we're at work.

Sam

The switch is a little silver pin sticking up in the back left corner I believe, I am at work or would look at mine. You can't miss it if you look around the perimeter of the gasket where the lid closes.

Another way to tell - leave the lid open and see if the stove shuts down.

The switch is on the back, right corner of my P43 (2012), and is black. Just a little nub sticking up. I finally decided it wasn't worth the hassle of putting in an extension and put a small piece of plate metal on it so it thinks the hopper is always closed.

You would see the switch. Otherwise there is a vacuum sensor, (manual says it's a muffler) in the hopper, to the left as looking from front.. If you leave the lid open, the auger stops feeding due to loss of hopper vacuum..or the switch would act the same

It's the vacuum switch model. Thanks for the info.

Sam

Reactions: bogieb
bogieb saw your pic of your P43, looks like you don't have to remove the existing hopper door to install the extension? Also yours appears to have vents on the sides, my 2013 model doesn't.

Sam

bogieb saw your pic of your P43, looks like you don't have to remove the existing hopper door to install the extension? Also yours appears to have vents on the sides, my 2013 model doesn't.

Sam
I was able to leave the hopper door on without any issues.

Those "vents" are on the extra panels (heat shields) I put on to reduce clearance needed to combustibles. No vents on the main stove itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.