P43 Installed! Draft Meter Test Whacky

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin1024

Aug 31, 2016
WOOD
all good to go. Bought a Dwyer meter and my readings were out the roof high. I followed instructions and the little white ball shot right up to the top way above where they should be. Am I doing something wrong? I have 4 inch chimney liner up existing pipe 33 ft tall. Also OAK.

all good to go. Bought a Dwyer meter and my readings were out the roof high. I followed instructions and the little white ball shot right up to the top way above where they should be. Am I doing something wrong? I have 4 inch chimney liner up existing pipe 33 ft tall. Also OAK.

That "sucks". Sorry, no help. A 33' lined chimney will have an excellent draw. You could suck seagulls off of a landfill.

Sounds like you used a manometer,calibrated to check gas pressure,instead of a magnehelic gauge.What's the part number of the one you bought?

I used a model 25, that was used with my coal stove, and had no issues
using it on 2 P68 stoves, dumped into tall masonry chimneys... no metal liners.

Dan

Kevin, set your draft potentiometer by eye over time. Watch the burn, and record the heat output of either the air output, or the side (near the top) of the stove surface. Find a good flame pattern, with few flying embers etc. Like I mentioned in my other replies, my setting is almost all the way turned down.

Reactions: Pete Zahria
The device you bought is for checking furnaces.It has a procedure to check pressure on 2 different scales, .005-.09,and .05-.1.However there is no procedure for this when checking vacuum,so it will only test on lower scale,.005-.09,as furnaces rarely go higher than .05.Your stove vacuum will be somewhere around .2-.6.,so your tester will not work.

Pellet stoves work in a vacuum, you have a pressure tester, not a vacuum tester I believe.

That's ok, as I mentioned before , I don't use a gauge. I hope you marked your starting point so you can get back there..

Status
Not open for further replies.