P43 Insulated or Non-Insulated Chimney Liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin1024

Aug 31, 2016
WOOD
placing P43 in existing chimney 35 ft up. Should I get an insulated chimney liner or non insulated? Does it matter?

placing P43 in existing chimney 35 ft up. Should I get an insulated chimney liner or non insulated? Does it matter?

35' is a stretch. It will do it but BEWARE. I would need a lot more info on this to give you an answer. Chimney location in the house, size, where the stove is, and how you will run it is a good start.

Eric

My liner goes up an existing chimney 18 ft. In my opinion it doesn't need to be insulated but I would seal off the top and bottom of the existing chimney. I has to be 4" as well.
Ron

35' is a stretch. It will do it but BEWARE. I would need a lot more info on this to give you an answer. Chimney location in the house, size, where the stove is, and how you will run it is a good start.

Eric
Hi. Beware of what? The location is at the far right end of the house. Plan on using a tee with an extension, then going up.

You would be much better off trying to find a stand alone spot to exit venting through the wall. 35' is way out of the norm for pellet stove venting

You would be much better off trying to find a stand alone spot to exit venting through the wall. 35' is way out of the norm for pellet stove venting
Wish I could. House is a rental and they won't allow any holes. I have an OAK all the way up as well. Do you feel this setup won't work? What are the downsides?

Eric is probably a better resource person but know you will need 4" venting. Typically venting runs max out in the 20s. Usually need more frequent cleaning. Mine's only 3' horizontal;hm

My own Harmon XXV pellet stove uses a 8" lined chimney existing from my wood stove days. It's approximately 24' from where the pellet stove pipe enters to the top of the chimney. It's been this way for the 5 years I've run it with no problems. I questioned doing it this way at the beginning, but the XXV manual does indeed show this as an option, although there is no mention of height. The dealer also concurred this was OK. The manual for the P43 appears to indicate the same for its install. It does suggest however that local codes may require a vent pipe to the top. My own local inspector had no issues without a vent pipe.
p43.jpg

Last edited:
The manual does not have any info on that high of an installation. If the landlord doesn't want holes in the walls, how's he going to feel about cutting out the damper to install the liner and OAK? You will need to have the chimney cleaned and you will have to install a cap.

Where is the stove going to be located? Basement of a two story house?

Wish I could. House is a rental and they won't allow any holes. I have an OAK all the way up as well. Do you feel this setup won't work? What are the downsides?
I ran 4" liner up an existing chimney 23ft without insulation ( actually the whole liner including what is in the fireplace and outside a little bit is about 26'). The shop where we bought the stove from ( Harman P61)said they do installs that go up 40' with 4" liner all the time. He indicated just to use 4" flex vent ( which he sold us). Also I think you will find in the instruction sheet where one of Harman's layouts for venting just runs the vent into an existing chimney liner a few feet. Look at your install instructions. You don't have to do it that way because they also show one with the vent running all the way up. The point is this: as you get away from the stove the gasses may start to cool down but if Harman is not concerned then I wouldn't be either. Harman says after a certain distance to use 4 " liner ( 3" would be too restrictive). I suspect you are fine. If you are worried then just brush a little more often.

We have two P-68 stoves both running into tall masonry chimneys (8" clay lined) and have had zero issues.
I have no idea why anyone would be nervous about that.... Maybe we are lucky.
But Harman feels it is a good setup....
Same chimneys ran both wood, and coal stoves, over the last 35 years or so..

Dan

I had noticed the OP had mentioned installing the stove in a rented place. Wonder if the landlord pulls the permit and responsible for the inspection and if anything would be tacked onto the landlords insurance homeowners policy?

I had noticed the OP had mentioned installing the stove in a rented place. Wonder if the landlord pulls the permit and responsible for the inspection and if anything would be tacked onto the landlords insurance homeowners policy?
Good points. Some insurance companies do not change premiums, some do. Some require professional install, some require inspection, some just pics. Depends on the company and local government.

Status
Not open for further replies.