p43 noise

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dukefan3916

Oct 13, 2011
pa
Well so far i love my pellet stove. However i have started to get a noise coming for what seems to be the firebox. I run the stove on thermostat and when ever the stove is heating up or cooling down there seems to be alot of ticking from the stove.It does not seem to matter whether the auger is running or not. It will even do it when it is maintaining temp. I have thoroughly cleaned the stove and that has not helped. It can be annoying especially when it is first firing up as it will do it every 2 seconds or so. Sounds like the ticking from a hot exhaust on a car when it is shut off. Let me know what you guys think maybe I am being to picky but it never did this before.

Could it be the sound of the pellets dropping?

I think you may have answered your own question,the noise you describe is the heating and cooling of the metal maybe you have a lose panel making the metal move more than normal.

fmsm no it is no the sound of pellets dropping i know that sound. I am starting to think one of the panels might be a little loose but i have looked over the whole firebox and have not seen anything everything is tight.

dukefan3916 said:
Well so far i love my pellet stove. However i have started to get a noise coming for what seems to be the firebox. I run the stove on thermostat and when ever the stove is heating up or cooling down there seems to be alot of ticking from the stove.It does not seem to matter whether the auger is running or not. It will even do it when it is maintaining temp. I have thoroughly cleaned the stove and that has not helped. It can be annoying especially when it is first firing up as it will do it every 2 seconds or so. Sounds like the ticking from a hot exhaust on a car when it is shut off. Let me know what you guys think maybe I am being to picky but it never did this before.

I've got a Harman Advance and mine does it all the time too. Definitely the metal expanding/contracting, as you say it's very similar to the exhaust on a car.

It may be the little "flapper" on the combustion air intake in the back
of your unit. I didn't notice it so much with my P43, but I can definitely
hear it with the P61A. I guess I must've gotten used to it, because it
doesn't bother me any more...

DAKSY said:
It may be the little "flapper" on the combustion air intake in the back
of your unit. I didn't notice it so much with my P43, but I can definitely
hear it with the P61A. I guess I must've gotten used to it, because it
doesn't bother me any more...
Mine sounds the same as desribed.

Yeah i dont think that it is the flapper at the back. like i said it sounds like it is in the firebox. I was just wondering if anyone else has had this issue and if so if there is anything to do to resolve it.

My Quad "tinks"... Its the expansion (heating) and contraction (cooloing) of the steel plates.

My Englander 30-NC also does (wood stove) probably worse than the pellet stove. But it can "heat up" a lot faster.

Can be annoying if you pay attention. But mines had several seasons now and still does it. Just something that happens. Some stoves are worse than others. My old Englander pellet stove dont "tink" and neither does my Furnace.

Probably noticing it more now since it hardly needs to work to keep the house warm which is a good thing

agreed with the "expansion of metal" folks.......if the stove is "asked" to warm up fast from a cold condition, the metal makes more noise.......slower startup usually gives less noise.....

To give you guys an update the noise has gotten progressivly worse and does it most of the time in room temp mode. I contacted my dealer and they have done everythng they can to not come and look at it. So i have fully cleaned it and examined the firebox. Upon the examination i noticed in the back left of the box up by the heat exchanger there is a weld that looks messy and that is the exact area that the noise is coming from. The other back corner of the firebox is nice and clean compared to the pile of metal in the back left. I took a picture and sent it to my dealer and they are sending someone out to look at it on sat. I guess it will come down to what is a resonable amount of noise. In my opinion it looks as though there is a faulty weld because in room temp it will click every 5 to 10 seconds most of the time. I will post a pic later tonight when i get hpme. Any opinions on how i should handle this would be appreciated.

not sure how to upload movie here is a pic in the mean time

Attachments

• DSC00161.jpg
    DSC00161.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 360
dukefan3916 said:
To give you guys an update the noise has gotten progressivly worse and does it most of the time in room temp mode. I contacted my dealer and they have done everythng they can to not come and look at it. So i have fully cleaned it and examined the firebox. Upon the examination i noticed in the back left of the box up by the heat exchanger there is a weld that looks messy and that is the exact area that the noise is coming from. The other back corner of the firebox is nice and clean compared to the pile of metal in the back left. I took a picture and sent it to my dealer and they are sending someone out to look at it on sat. I guess it will come down to what is a resonable amount of noise. In my opinion it looks as though there is a faulty weld because in room temp it will click every 5 to 10 seconds most of the time. I will post a pic later tonight when i get hpme. Any opinions on how i should handle this would be appreciated.

My Advance has welds like that - some very clean, some a little messy. Maybe most (if not all) Harman heat exchangers look like that. Mine made the ticking sound on a pretty regular basis for a while. Not just when it was heating up or cooling down, it did it while it was burning at a steady room temp. For some reason after several weeks, it calmed down and now I only notice it when it's heating up or cooling down.

Good job on the Video.

Sounds to repetitive to be heating or cooling?? IMO

it definatly is in the firebox at that back corner. the stove was heating up when i caught it doing that. i had turned the thermostat up. it does it not so frequent when it is maintaining also

Hard to tell from the video, but it seems a little louder than the ticking that my Advance makes. Just out of curiosity, how old is your P43 stove? My Advance was installed in Dec 2011, and it was ticking a lot for the first few weeks. After about 2-3 weeks, it settled down.

Looked at the video. I have a P38, purchased 1/2011, which is the same as your P43 minus the upgraded controls. My opinion it does not sound right. I see what you mean. Mine does not make THAT noise.. Let us know how things go with dealer.....

mepellet said:
The ticking my stove makes during initial startup is probably that frequent but not as loud. I think yours sounds more mechanical than mine. Good luck with the dealer. Keep us posted.

Yeah, thats what I was thinking too. The ticking on that P43 seems very loud compared to my Advance. Same type of noise...just much louder.

Status
Not open for further replies.