P61 auger noise

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rap69ri

Minister of Fire
Feb 23, 2008
Middle of RI
I've been running a P61 that I picked up used for about 2 weeks now and it works great. The one item of contention is the noise that comes from auger/motor when it feeds pellets. It sounds like it's grumbling. I've tried to narrow it down to either the auger or the motor, but can't seem to pinpoint it. Has anyone else had this problem?

Rick

rap69ri said:
I've been running a P61 that I picked up used for about 2 weeks now and it works great. The one item of contention is the noise that comes from auger/motor when it feeds pellets. It sounds like it's grumbling. I've tried to narrow it down to either the auger or the motor, but can't seem to pinpoint it. Has anyone else had this problem?

Rick

Try mixing some graphite with some pellets and let them go through, mine made some grumbling noises when I had a lot of fins from the Greenway pellets I had. I now put some graphite in once a month and the auger is very quite unless it is running low on pellets.

Mine sounds like that sometimes, and other times, its quiter. Kind of annoying and hard to get used to when you are lying awake at night. Anyone else, have this sound?

swalz said:
rap69ri said:

Rick

Try mixing some graphite with some pellets and let them go through, mine made some grumbling noises when I had a lot of fins from the Greenway pellets I had. I now put some graphite in once a month and the auger is very quite unless it is running low on pellets.

I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the advice.

This started happening on our new stove last winter and I tracked it down as coming from the motor/gearbox....can't remember for sure but I knew I took the back cover off and watched it and might have even stuck a rubber hose in my ear towards the noise to make sure...seems like something I'd do....because there is the fan noise and all. Anyways,it was annoying at night with every rotation of the auger screw....that noise. Not what I had hoped for from a fairly new stove. Anyways, long story short,after a lot of wrangling(warranty),got a new auger motor/gearbox unit put in and the thing is as quiet as a mouse that way....you don't hear it being fed at all except for the pellets clinking...I can live with that! The auger motors' bearing/bushing was shot. The unit still worked but the end coming out of the gearbox/auger motor had considerable play from side to side. By the way,you wouldn't believe the forces that those motors exert to be able to slice those pellets! That is where the gearing comes in. Anyways,had I not been able to get warranty,I would have taken the unit apart and replaced the bushing which is quite inexpensive,compared to the cost of a new motor. Just thought I'd share that. Oh,by the way someone is probably gonna ask the brand...it is a drolet,but most all of the auger motors I've seen are much the same,so that should not matter in this case.

rap69ri said:

Rick

Sounds like an "ex-wife" stove, picked her up used, lots of grumbling, my solution was to get rid of it.

hossthehermit said:
rap69ri said:

Rick

Sounds like an "ex-wife" stove, picked her up used, lots of grumbling, my solution was to get rid of it.

Always so helpful Hoss, thanks.

pete324rocket said:
This started happening on our new stove last winter and I tracked it down as coming from the motor/gearbox....can't remember for sure but I knew I took the back cover off and watched it and might have even stuck a rubber hose in my ear towards the noise to make sure...seems like something I'd do....because there is the fan noise and all. Anyways,it was annoying at night with every rotation of the auger screw....that noise. Not what I had hoped for from a fairly new stove. Anyways, long story short,after a lot of wrangling(warranty),got a new auger motor/gearbox unit put in and the thing is as quiet as a mouse that way....you don't hear it being fed at all except for the pellets clinking...I can live with that! The auger motors' bearing/bushing was shot. The unit still worked but the end coming out of the gearbox/auger motor had considerable play from side to side. By the way,you wouldn't believe the forces that those motors exert to be able to slice those pellets! That is where the gearing comes in. Anyways,had I not been able to get warranty,I would have taken the unit apart and replaced the bushing which is quite inexpensive,compared to the cost of a new motor. Just thought I'd share that. Oh,by the way someone is probably gonna ask the brand...it is a drolet,but most all of the auger motors I've seen are much the same,so that should not matter in this case.

From what I've seen and read about Harman is that the parts are pretty unique to the brand. I'm going to try the graphit fix, and if that doesn't do it the bearing is next.

I added some graphite yesterday afternoon, and the noise went away for about 6 hours. I'm going to add some more today and hope for the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.