P61 Firebox Door Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rococo

Dec 12, 2016
Worcester, MA
Hi guys,

I just recently changed out the gasket on the firebox door to my P61; it failed the dollar bill test. I use my stove 24/7 during this time of year so I haven't had a chance to check it out closely when it's cold. My question is that is the firebox door adjustable? I know the P68 is adjustable and that Harman recommends that the latch/door pins be adjusted after installing a new gasket. Is that also doable on the P61? The reason I ask is because I was just walking by the stove after I turned the light off in the room and I noticed a small space in between the firebox and the door near the the top hinge. Thanks for your input! I will get a pic posted ASAP.

Here is a picture of the crack. I'm guessing no one knows if the p61 has an adjustable Firebox door? Still running it 24/7. Haven't had a chance to check it out close

Attachments

• 20170108_184632.jpg
    20170108_184632.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 149
  • 20170108_184632.jpg
    20170108_184632.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 136
Manual doesn't mention it for the P61; P68 has it under section of "gasket maintenance". Would suspect there is no adjustment.

I don't think there is an "adjustment" per se on the 61's. Is the opening warped a bit in that upper right corner where the door hinge is?

I had a small adjustment to make on mine when I reworked it at the door latch area that was easily handle giving the steel lip where the latch catches a few love taps with a hammer. Problem solved.

Did you possibly stretch the rope gasket when you replaced it. Not difficult to do. Just a bit of tension and it will get thin. If I remember correctly I think I went up one size in diameter on my rope gasket. when I did the new ones. On the fire door.

You should not be able to see fire like in the photo above. Have you tried to fluff you gasket in this area? Is there a little bit of excess glue maybe holding it a bit tight? Is the hinge pin worn and sloppy?

Is that fire or part of the white gasket? Definitely shouldn't be able to see fire through the gap. (There shouldn't be a gap)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bags I went with a 3/8" gastket from my local place. I might have pulled it a long too much. I'm not sure. It does seem like the latch has a small amount of adjustment with an allen screw. I don't think the firebox is warped it looks straight. I'm not sure about the pin. I'm running it 24/7 so I haven't had a chance to check it out close.

Hi overlookEGR That is not the gasket, that is the glow of fire. I noticed it when walking around the room with no lights on.

Bags I think you're right. I think I stretched it a bit too much on that corner. What size do you use?

Reactions: bags
Should be 3/8,but sometimes gaskets are not all the same,some compress more,softer,and you have to bunch it up while gluing it.Did stretch one out too far like you,many years ago,on my integra,easy mistake to make.

Yeah it's my first time DIY'in a gasket on a stove. I'm 100% it's user error. Thanks for the help guys.

Reactions: bags
So the gasket was the issue and everything is A-Ok. I did a nice cleaning of the stove after burning 60 bags of DF. It was nice and clean. I'm noticing that not even one bag into today and the glass is getting foggy in the same spot on the right side of the glass. I'm guessing that the glass gasket is leaking as well. What size is the gasket for the glass?