1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

P61 First Fines Box Cleaning

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by MikeinRI, Mar 2, 2013.

1. MikeinRI

MikeinRI New Member

Loc:
    West Greenwich RI
    Well the stove is almost 2 months old and i have useing 1.5-2 bags per day since Jan 6th. I have cleaned out the ashpan twice already but both times it was only 1/2 full. Today it was looking pretty full after running about 20 bags of Green Supremes from HD. I have been hearing a few new noises when the auger feeds. It sounds like a thump and i assume its a pellets getting broke by the auger? The GS appear a bit smaller in diameter than the FU and Green Teams I had been burning. any comments on the follwoing pictures of my first fines box cleanout?

IMG_5317.JPG IMG_5319.JPG IMG_5320.JPG

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Lousyweather

Lousyweather Guest

comments? sure!

First off, hats off to you for doing something that woefully few people do....clean the fines chamber!

As for the thumping, its more the length of the pellets than the diameter....the longer the average pellet length, tho more frequent the thumps....

carry on
  3. STOVEGUY11

STOVEGUY11 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    SOUTHERN CT
    Looks good to me!
  4. MikeinRI

MikeinRI New Member

Loc:
    West Greenwich RI
    I figured the longer ones would do it. The GreenTeams from Lowes had some 2" ers and i cant recall hearign the 'thump" but all these Green Supremes I'm currently burning are 1" or less. Is the thumping the auger drive rmotor moving on the rubbers isolaters? I figure they compress a bit then the pellets is broke then the thump is the motor going back to its orignal postion.
  5. MikeinRI

MikeinRI New Member

Loc:
    West Greenwich RI
    oh and the ash bucket.. after 20 bags.

IMG_5321.JPG
  6. Bigjim13

Bigjim13 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central Vermont
    That's a lot of ash for 20 bags. That was pretty much the ash I experienced with North American pellets.
  7. Hoot23

Hoot23 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Alfred, Me
    Thats a lot of ash after 20 bags. Only get half of that with Vermont's or Spruce Pointes after a full ton of pellets.
  8. MikeinRI

MikeinRI New Member

Loc:
    West Greenwich RI
    When I clean the stove I push all the ash into the pan. Is that aceptable to count as "ash bucket" ash? I still agree its 2-3 times what I have been seeing with other pellets.
  9. Defiant

Defiant Vermont Castings Geek

Loc:
    Old Lyme CT
    Looks normal for how long and what you were burning. What do you set your feed rate on?
  10. MikeinRI

MikeinRI New Member

Loc:
    West Greenwich RI
    Feed 2.5-4 Stove temp 2-4
  11. Hoot23

Hoot23 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Alfred, Me
    That counts, I do the same.
  12. gbreda

gbreda Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lakes Region, NH
    Damn are the GS or Greene Team that bad this year? I burned FS Ultras and did not get that much ash.

Great job on cleaning the fines box! As hoot mentioned, you will find that the better pellets would have less in both the fines area and the ash pan.
    With that amount of ash, you may want to clean your venting too.

Good Job !
    Defiant likes this.
  13. MikeinRI

MikeinRI New Member

Loc:
    West Greenwich RI
    These were the Green Supreme and I did check the chimney. It was the first time I removed the cap and it was very clean. I'd say a very even 1/16" coating of a lite brown powder. Ran the vacume hose in it a few times. I direct vent so there is only the harman adapter a 45 and 3 foot horizontal straight out the house. Green Teams are my favorite so far this year but the local shelves are empty.