P61a acting screwy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bouchbri25

Jan 12, 2017
Nh
Late last year my Hartman P61a started building up creosote and being much harder to clean. I thought maybe wet pellets or poor airflow... I replaced the door gasket (definitely needed it either way) and bought new pellets. Same problem. Started having an ESP error so I replaced that 3 weeks ago and did a deep cleaning scraping all creosote etc. It quickly built up again and I think I had a chimney fire or at least smoke backed up in the house from a hole in the chimney tee. It then wouldn't shut down so I had to unplug it after letting it die down as much as I could. I then replaced the control board thinking it's not burning right so it's the next logical step after ESP. Did another deep scrape/clean including cleaning the ESP.
After installing the new board the combustion blower runs as soon as I plug it in and won't shut off and the igniter won't work if I try to turn it on. Also the distribution blower runs with the igniter switch in auto but turns off in manual. I checked dip switches and they are 1-3 on 4-5 off (5off because I have black wire ESP) 6-7 on 8 off which I think is correct based on Hartman tech giving those settings.

What the hell am I missing? Possible defective ESP that's only 3 wks old? Old bad control board resulted in bad ESP? Should I replace that again? @ another $100:-(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was lucky when my P61a started whacking out, I might not have thought of the surge protector being the problem had it not failed entirely. Yeah, it was my surge protector, probably feeding the stove intermittent or low voltage. Then it quit all together. I plugged in the new surge protector and all was well. So now a couple of times a year with the stove running I check my line voltage coming out of my surge protector. Last time I checked I had 119 volts.

Another guy with a P61a in the forum a couple of years ago had a backwards wired outlet and no ground. We all encouraged him to just try a different outlet, which he did and the stove worked fine. He nor us knew the first outlet was bad, we just encouraged him to try a different one in case that was the cause, and it was. He got in an electrician to correct the problem in the outlet.

I don't know what the problem is with your stove but I would also encourage you to make sure you have clean juice feeding the stove.

Reactions: ABusWrench
I was lucky when my P61a started whacking out, I might not have thought of the surge protector being the problem had it not failed entirely. Yeah, it was my surge protector, probably feeding the stove intermittent or low voltage. Then it quit all together. I plugged in the new surge protector and all was well. So now a couple of times a year with the stove running I check my line voltage coming out of my surge protector. Last time I checked I had 119 volts.

Another guy with a P61a in the forum a couple of years ago had a backwards wired outlet and no ground. We all encouraged him to just try a different outlet, which he did and the stove worked fine. He nor us knew the first outlet was bad, we just encouraged him to try a different one in case that was the cause, and it was. He got in an electrician to correct the problem in the outlet.

I don't know what the problem is with your stove but I would also encourage you to make sure you have clean juice feeding the stove.

I'll give it a shot! Thanks!

Yes the Harman stoves are sensitive to proper ground and proper polarity. I have a $5 device that plugs into outlet to check all those possible faults. Some other makes too and is suggested to check before install.

Yes the Harman stoves are sensitive to proper ground and proper polarity. I have a $5 device that plugs into outlet to check all those possible faults. Some other makes too and is suggested to check before install.

Plugs into the stove or the wall? What is it and where can I get one?

Plugs into wall socket. Available at most places that have electrical supply.
DSCN0895.JPG

Update-so I replaced the ESP again and it worked! Likely bought a bad ESP-I'm having them send it back for testing and they'll refund me if confirmed bad.

Reactions: Harmanizer
Hopefully it will be the problem. I know they had a bad batch out several years ago and maybe it was one that was not caught.
I had a stove gremlin with the Bixby early this week as it went into feeding-eating more corn than it normally does on the low setting and woke to a very warm house and the thing ate twice what it should. Shut down and unplugged and fired up late that day when things cooled down and is now eating the bucket a day as it should making the household comfortable and economical at a pound an hour

Reactions: Harmanizer