P61a cleaned flue liner pellets dancing in the burn pot ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alternativeheat

Minister of Fire
Dec 19, 2013
Cape Cod, Ma.
Ya so, first flue liner brushing with the P61. Slightly over a ton burned. I didn't get what I thought to be a whole lot of ash, I'd say if you cupped your hands together the amount of ash would fill them more or less. But draft is certainly good, the pellets kind of hop around in the burn pot, change positions while burning, want to float up but not quite get blown out of the pot before settling someplace else in the burn pot. Is that good or too much draft ?

The ESP did not look bad but I was able to get a 1-1/2" nylon paint brush in to it and give it a brisk but gentle brushing off. It's all shiny metal now. The stove is acting fine too but it's not overly cold out, was 28 this early AM and about 34 now.. It's cycling good in room temp and didn't pig out on pellets overnight, no big huge ramp ups yet with the solid wall of fire I had last week when it was 26 out ( that I posted about). The house is comfortable as well. Go figure ! Well I think it was Bioburn who said when in doubt , clean !!

Pretty normal, you just did a deep clean so your getting great flow. Enjoy. I just finished cleaning as well and she's still shut down. Trying to give it a break while the wifey is out. It's been down since 10:30 and the house is holding at 69. But she'll complain when she gets in about it being chilly. She's spoiled now!

...and he's right;lol A little dancing around in the pot is OK as long as they are not getting thrown out... experiment with decreasing draft a bit and check your flames and temps but it sounds normal.

There are portions of venting and internals that will clog up quicker. Better to clean them out before it constricts air movement and effects heat production and efficiency. Enjoy the glow...

...and he's right;lol A little dancing around in the pot is OK as long as they are not getting thrown out... experiment with decreasing draft a bit and check your flames and temps but it sounds normal.

There are portions of venting and internals that will clog up quicker. Better to clean them out before it constricts air movement and effects heat production and efficiency. Enjoy the glow...
Thank's Hoot and Lake Girl, it just seemed funny that the small or seemingly small amount of ash I got out of the flue would make the difference. The rest of the cleaning was pretty normal for my Sat chore. I didn't clean the fines box this week even. Of course who knows where the ash was, it could have been collected in a confined area or within the gradual S bend in the flex pipe going through the old smoke shelf over a 3 ft span of vent.. That could have slowed it down a little I guess. The stove is happy right now though !!

Switching back to Spruce Point pellets tonight, I have 20 or so bags of those. LG in the stove right now.

I got almost a full ash bin outta the Lg's. About 3 weeks worth of burning. Easy to clean though, the Lg and LaCrete ash brushes off easy. She's running now. I almost hate to see it get dirty again.

I got almost a full ash bin outta the Lg's. About 3 weeks worth of burning. Easy to clean though, the Lg and LaCrete ash brushes off easy. She's running now. I almost hate to see it get dirty again.
Ya I like LaCrete, my dealer said he doesn't think he will stock them next year. I think the hopper holds out a little longer on them than LG. Pointe are good too. But ya, I know what you mean about getting it all dirty again !!

Reactions: Hoot23
Status
Not open for further replies.