P61a exhaust fan

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Elaisse2

Dec 6, 2016
maine
I broke a few of these wings yesterday cleaning the stove. Whats it like taking this thing off and replacing it?
P61a exhaust fan

Soak it with penetrating oil for a day or so. Several applications of it before trying to loosen the screw or get the fan off. Sometimes heat from a torch can help but don't over due the heat and concentrate the heat on the fan hub rather than the motor shaft if you use heat... if the stove isn't too old the fan might come right off but most people struggle with it to one degree or another.

Incidentally I only brush the fan blades off with a paint brush when I clean it, FWIW.

Soak it with penetrating oil for a day or so. Several applications of it before trying to loosen the screw or get the fan off. Sometimes heat from a torch can help but don't over due the heat and concentrate the heat on the fan hub rather than the motor shaft if you use heat... if the stove isn't too old the fan might come right off but most people struggle with it to one degree or another.

Incidentally I only brush the fan blades off with a paint brush when I clean it, FWIW.
Unfortunately I need to use the unit. :(

worst case scenario if it just won't come off..
have to get behind the fan with a sawzaw and cut the thin motor shaft off..
of course u will need to replace the whole unit which includes the small motor.
sounds crazy but read a few posts where as few here had no choice.
I think i read where they snapped all the blades off so as to get to the shaft...
probably pretty old stoves with original parts...
hope it does come off for you..

The set screw on the Harman combustion fan blade assembly is pure torture. If possible, try drilling out the set screw or cutting the collar through the set screw, so you don't have to cut the stainless steel shaft and replace the whole fan unit.

The set screw on the Harman combustion fan blade assembly is pure torture. If possible, try drilling out the set screw or cutting the collar through the set screw, so you don't have to cut the stainless steel shaft and replace the whole fan unit.
May as well resign yourself to cutting the shaft and buying a complete new unit. The time and frustration wasted on trying to save the motor ends up to be a huge waste of time. Figure at the best you ruin the fan and save the motor. OK now you have a used motor on a new fan. How long before that used motor goes bad and you get to do the whole thing over?

Unfortunately I need to use the unit. :(
Well you've seen a few options now since I posted. How are you making out ?
If you try and run it with a busted fan you risk wrecking the motor and it's unlikely that old fan is going to just slide apart for you, it might be to your advantage to just change out the whole assembly..

I like this idea of cutting or drilling through the hub and screw, I take that as along the length of the shaft ? This has potential, I'll keep that in mind if I ever wreck my fan blade.

I wonder if there is room to get a nut splitter in there and split the hub to free it. Like this one:
P61a exhaust fan

Thanks for the all the info we shall see what happens.
Well you've seen a few options now since I posted. How are you making out ?
If you try and run it with a busted fan you risk wrecking the motor and it's unlikely that old fan is going to just slide apart for you, it might be to your advantage to just change out the whole assembly..
The part has not arrived yet, I am going to order a motor just in case.

Reactions: alternativeheat
cut the hub with a hack saw as close to the shaft as you can.

Attachments

• P61a exhaust fan
    fan.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 133
I have having a hard time picking the right motor. It's the combustion motor right?
Yes. Or some places call it the exhaust fan motor.