P61a First Burn is the flame ok

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LuvMyPellets

Burning Hunk
Nov 15, 2012
Delaware
Finally had the inspector over this morning and got the go ahead. The window is coming out this summer and in the meantime it is sealed shut from the outside. The flame seems a little high to me. This was after about an hour. I lowered the feed to 3.5. It is running in Auto-Fan set in the middle and the probe still calling for heat. The convoluted pipe was necessitated by the oil burner chimney being right outside exactly where you would normally run the vent so I had to come over to the right of it. Crazy but it almost seems like I have too much draft but with 4inch and 2-90s and 1-45 and 18 inches of horiz just to get it out the house seems impossible. I have 4 ft vertical outside.

Attachments

• P61a.jpg
    P61a.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 189
I have a P43 and have a very similar looking flame. Enjoy the heat!

Thanks guys! Man does this thing stink. Been running 2hrs and still nasty burning paint through the house even with two windows wide open,.

Thanks guys! Man does this thing stink. Been running 2hrs and still nasty burning paint through the house even with two windows wide open,.
Residual smell , open some more windows and get the house aired out. Also in the manual it says to do some low burns first. Doesn't matter now, the paint is cured most likely. Be careful opening the doors for the first time, cured paint can stick to the gaskets. You probably will get a slight odor on a really high burn for a while yet but it's not obnoxious like the first burn of the stove is. Barely a hint of what you just went through !! You've been burning for over two hours now, I doubt at the current rate of burn ( the one you showed us) the stove itself is really producing any more odor. The first hour usually ends that. But ya it stinks for sure.

I run room temp set to 70, feed at 4, temp pot at about 2 O'Clock. My flame varries from an inch to almost 10 depending. What you've posted is about as high as mine gets.

That is perfect flame. The Harman will keep a good tall flame until it doesn't call for heat anymore. Burn in of the paint can take a little while - unfortunately you just have to put up with the stink (and open some windows, maybe set up fans to evacuate the stink out the windows faster). Candles (scented or unscented) can be your friend for eating up some of the smell too.

Finally had the inspector over this morning and got the go ahead. The window is coming out this summer and in the meantime it is sealed shut from the outside. The flame seems a little high to me. This was after about an hour. I lowered the feed to 3.5. It is running in Auto-Fan set in the middle and the probe still calling for heat. The convoluted pipe was necessitated by the oil burner chimney being right outside exactly where you would normally run the vent so I had to come over to the right of it. Crazy but it almost seems like I have too much draft but with 4inch and 2-90s and 1-45 and 18 inches of horiz just to get it out the house seems impossible. I have 4 ft vertical outside.
Be patient with it...you've only just fired it up. Don't jump to conclusions just yet. Leave the feed rate alone at 4. Set it at Room Temp/auto 70 degrees and see if she satisfies the demand and throttles back.

have the same stove, your flame looks good, can tell it's still clean. Mine, not so much.
Put it on stove mode, level 7 if you want to see some tall flames :)

Status
Not open for further replies.