P68 auger issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinP68

Jan 11, 2015
New york
Had a piece of plywood 1inch by say 2 1/2 get stuck midway though auger (out of bag). Removed auger to get it out. Since then auger will not run. Feed light doesn't come on. What I have done. Checked to make sure bearing turn freely. Have spare motor both work on bench fine. Cleaned every part of stove, including re-removing auger. Once in a while I can get motor to run for one cycle but that's it. Don't have any ideas except board(don't know how of what to check) and low draft pressure switch (also don't know what to do with it. Ie check if that is issue). It is later serial # model like 2008ish. Has yellow thing inside hopper.

Thanks for help

So if you run 120v to auger motor it turns and the auger? The yellow thing in hopper is a vacuum sensor. There is a hose going from that to the pressure switch.. Unplug the unit, unplug 2 wires on pressure switch, run a jumper wire to the 2 wires, bypassing it. Auger should turn when it cycles..I'm sure someone else will reply with a P68 or more knowledge..

Ok that works. So.... Is it the sensor unit? Something with the yellow thing? Hate to just buy parts. Also right now just straight jumpered out going to make one with terminals but want to check how bad it is to run stove like that. If I had to wait for sensor to come.

Wife thanks u also.

Reactions: Lake Girl
Ok so since last post was just letting it run/heat up house. P86 have glass door which was 100% clean. Now it's 3/4 black and house has bad burn smell to it. Maybe sensor was working, and there is a leak. If so where do i look any ideas. Thanks

Door gasket, ash pan door gasket,(check them with dollar bill),, hopper lid gasket. Did you remove the fines box cover and re install correctly ?? When was the last time Everything was cleaned including pipe?

Last edited:
if the stove was working well before removing the screws look on that side of the screw
perhaps poorly replaced and there is an air leak.
it is because of this that the pressure sensor is not working and that the stove gets dirty and the window there are not enough draft in the stove

f the stove was working well before removing the screws look on that side of the screw
perhaps poorly replaced and there is an air leak.
it is because of this that the pressure sensor is not working and that the stove gets dirty and the window there are not enough draft in the stove
Agree. If OK before,, something is not installed correctly..

I re-cleaned window and reseated/installed auger again. Running well no black smoke. Thanks for help. I now know more about the stove then ever lol. Good Sunday project.

I re-cleaned window and reseated/installed auger again. Running well no black smoke. Thanks for help. I now know more about the stove then ever lol. Good Sunday project.
Yup. Whenever you take stuff apart and something stops working first thing to do is retrace and redo what YOU did. Old saying - When you hear hoofbeats don't look for Zebras. And - trust the stove's systems. Just like Lassie, they were trying to tell you Timmy was in the well!

Status
Not open for further replies.