p68 auger problems

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

grease540

Dec 29, 2013
lewiston, me
i have a p68 harmon. it is the best pellet stove out there.(i have two other pellet stoves) since it was new it would make a squeaking noise occasionally. i am a mechanic & electrician. i removed the auger motor & auger & was surprised to find no obstructions(no carbon or hard pellets). i cleaned out the auger bore & reassembled the stove. no more squeaking. occasionally it would squeak, but would go away. during our recent ice storm, we lost power. well,,, after a few minutes there was plenty of smoke in the house. so,,, started the generator(honda) plugged in the stove and we were back up & running. well, there was alot of grinding & krunching noise coming out of the stove. i figured it was partially burned pellets left in the auger tube.
the next day the squeaking came back, only this time with a vengence. so i took the auger motor out along with the auger. nothing in the auger tube (carbon).. I did notice than when i manually rotated the auger & auger motor i could here the squeak. thought i was on to something here. either it was the auger or the motor. like i said before there was nothing in the auger tube so i cleaned up the auger(wired wheeled the carbon off) lubed the bearing & motor and reassembled it.
turned the stove on the auger rotated 2 or 3 times & stopped. now the p68 is dead in the water.
anybody got any ideas?

Could be your auger motor. I just changed mine out because the bearing on the motor was squealing and had some black gunk coming out of it. All is well now.(knock on wood).

Got a call this afternoon on same type issue only on a different manufacture. I had warned owner of the pending doom when I last serviced it( a week ago to prevent any cold holiday problem). -10 degrees for the high today:(

i have a p68 harmon. it is the best pellet stove out there.(i have two other pellet stoves) since it was new it would make a squeaking noise occasionally. i am a mechanic & electrician. i removed the auger motor & auger & was surprised to find no obstructions(no carbon or hard pellets). i cleaned out the auger bore & reassembled the stove. no more squeaking. occasionally it would squeak, but would go away. during our recent ice storm, we lost power. well,,, after a few minutes there was plenty of smoke in the house. so,,, started the generator(honda) plugged in the stove and we were back up & running. well, there was alot of grinding & krunching noise coming out of the stove. i figured it was partially burned pellets left in the auger tube.
the next day the squeaking came back, only this time with a vengence. so i took the auger motor out along with the auger. nothing in the auger tube (carbon).. I did notice than when i manually rotated the auger & auger motor i could here the squeak. thought i was on to something here. either it was the auger or the motor. like i said before there was nothing in the auger tube so i cleaned up the auger(wired wheeled the carbon off) lubed the bearing & motor and reassembled it.
turned the stove on the auger rotated 2 or 3 times & stopped. now the p68 is dead in the water.
anybody got any ideas?
Make up a short patch cord and power the auger motor directly to see if it works. That will tell us a lot.

I have a P68 to service this morning w/ same issue, squealing auger/motor

Status
Not open for further replies.