P68 distribution fan squealing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mackdog

Oct 27, 2008
Ohio
At the end of winter our stoves distribution blower started squealing. To get thru the rest of the season, as long as we kept the fan at the lowest setting it didn't squeal. We need to get it replaced before Oct 2011 because it will start getting cold and because our electrical warranty will be up then. Our dealer charges at least $150 for the house call. Does anyone know what the cost of the fan is and has anyone changed it theirself? We are not very "mechanical" and I'm concerned about doing it right but don't know how easy or hard it would be to try. Do we need to order the fan thru the dealer?

Have you tried lubricating the motor? Many of the motors for the distribution (convection) blower have oiling ports that may solve your problem.

How old is the stove? Have the motors been checked/serviced ever?

If if it looks like the pic I supplied below, you can see where 2-3 drops of light 20w non-detergent oil (3 in 1 oil will do) can be put....it might solve the problem.

BTW, sometimes these oiling ports are on the underside of the motor....the motor/blower may have to be removed from the stove to lube it properly in that case.

Attachments

• blower lube ports.jpg
    blower lube ports.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 2,905
  • ConvectionBlowerOilHolesSC.jpg
    ConvectionBlowerOilHolesSC.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 1,398
To my knowledge, there is no way to oil the distribution blower on a P68. If the blower has failed, the labor is covered by the warranty. Are you saying he will charge at least $150 to just come out to see what the problem is? My dealer never charged me for anything covered under warranty, and your blower is still covered. I suppose if you're really far away from him that would justify an extra charge, but it doesn't seem right if he's close by. I would call and double check before you try to do anything yourself.

We purchased the stove new in Oct. 2008. We have never had it serviced, only minor things have went wrong that we were able to take care of. The dealer is only a 20 minute drive from us and he told us when we bought it that regardless of warranty, he charges 150.00 for having to come out to fix something under warranty which really stinks. So you think there is no way to lube the P68 then?

That really stinks. I wouldn't be buying any more stoves from him, although at least he told you up front. I am pretty certain there is no oil ports on that part, but maybe someone who works on them could chime in. You may want to post this in a couple days, we're having storms and I think many people are distracted and/or out of power.

Attachments

• HrmanConvBlower.jpg
    HrmanConvBlower.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 1,003
Since the part costs more than what your dealer would charge to go to the house, I would just have him do it.

Don2222 said:
Hello

The Harman 135 CFM OEM replacement Convection Blower is $195.00

It should be fairly easy to replace.

It is just bolted in and the electric wires should unplug.

Some blowers do not have oil plugs and cannot be serviced. If this is the case, then you need to just replace it!

See
http://www.stove-parts-unlimited.com/Harman_Distribution_Convection_Blower_p/3-21-22647.htm

Man that blower looks just like this one!

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/DAYTON-Shaded-Pole-Blower-2C647?Pid=search

Attachments

• Shaded-Pole-Blower-2C647_AS01.jpg
    Shaded-Pole-Blower-2C647_AS01.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 758
Hello J

It could be the same blower. Most blowers for the Wood Pellet stoves are made by Fasco or Dayton.

So if you really want to save money and DIY, then remove the blower from the Harmon P68. Most likely there will be the Blower's manufacturer's sticker with specs on it.

If it is Fasco or Dayton then look for the same blower in the Grainger catalog like J did.

Or

On the Fasco web site you can type in your zipcode for the nearest dealer.

See >> http://www.fasco.com/distloc.asp

Hello

If you are a tried and true DIYer then get an improved Blower with a Dust Screen like the one in the pic below that will last longer IF you clean off the dust once per year!!

Otherwise just clean the Blower fan blades once a year and then use spray graphite so the dust will not build up as much!!

Attachments

• Convection Blower.jpg
    Convection Blower.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 731
You can also remove the electric motor from the housing and install a new one using the old fan and housing for aprox 45.00

Thanks everyone! Doesn't sound like my husband wants to attempt it and I clean the thing but won't be trying to change the blower so I guess the dealer makes $150 off of us. Some of the parts on these stoves seem to be disposable. 3 yr old stove and ignitor went after first year and now distribution fan. Good grief!!

melkyleb2002 said:
....so I guess the dealer makes $150 off of us.....

Is the $150 just for the service call, and then parts & labor are added on to that? Make sure it's clear before they show-up at the house and hand you a big bill afterward.

It isn't difficult to remove and replace that whole unit but it should be still under warranty so If you have to pay him 150.00 I guess that's your choice. At least they told you about that extra charge before you got the stove.
Each dealer has its own plan for warranty work. Being gas is high I could see a extra trip charge but that's a crappy warranty policy for the customer.
Maybe the reading public should be told of the stores name so when they are deciding where to spend their hard earned money they can mentally add 150.00 to every service call they may end up with including warranty work.
A warranty is supplied by the stove company and the dealer gets some money for warranty work. Granted it isn't very much but the dealer also makes a pretty profit on the stove plus accessories and usually doesn't have warranty problems.
It is a simple extra step from a good cleaning to do a few simple remove and replace some parts. A dealer could show you on a display stove just what you need to take off to replace that fan. I have talked women through it over the phone and usually they were surprised at how simple it is.

Any chance the dealer will give you the replacement blower if you bring him the old one for warranty return? I know that you may not want to replace it yourself, but it really is not a huge thing to remove this blower. Just a thought.

I never herd of a dealer charging for warranty work. I had a dealer out to my place a bunch and never charged a penny. I had a new blower, igniter, burnpot and auger all on warranty. Burnpot and auger were changed out by a dealership that I didn't even buy the stove from. I don't think Harman want's there customers getting socked on warranty work.

noelp68 said:
I never herd of a dealer charging for warranty work......

Me either.

If I were the OP, I'd be calling Harman and asking some questions.

Well, I'm a little happier now. I called the dealer...they charge $100 to come out so either my husband didn't remember the correct price or maybe they dropped it since we bought the stove. He also offered us to come pick up the blower and he will show us on one of his models how to change it and he said it isn't hard at all, which is what some of you are saying. I think even if my husband doesn't want to, I'll go for doing it myself. I think I can I think I can, lol! Now, off to go to the hardware store and try and get some Somersets.
P.S. Thank you! You guys are a book of knowledge and I've depended on this forum since we got the stove.

melkyleb2002 said:
I called the dealer...they charge $100 to come out....

OK, I STILL don't understand why there is a charge for WARRANTY work. AFAIK, it should be no charge at all.

I'd still make that call to Harman.......

You paid for your warranty work when you bought your stove.

It's just their service charge for having to come out. From the sounds of how eager he was to just show us at the store how to replace it, I'm thinking they don't like house calls. Beyond that, I don't know. Even though they told us about the charge upfront, we never thought it sounded fair. Our solution is to not give them anymore business, and we haven't. Stopped getting our pellets there after the first season when we first got the stove.

melkyleb2002 said:
Even though they told us about the charge upfront, we never thought it sounded fair. Our solution is to not give them anymore business, and we haven't. Stopped getting our pellets there after the first season when we first got the stove.

That's the way! Vote with your feet, and tell others about it. Places like this then wonder why their business drops off. I could see the charge if the customer was at fault somehow, but not for warranty work. As was said, you paid for the warranty when you bought the stove. Charging for warranty work is just gouging the customer, and shouldn't be tolerated.

heat seeker said:
.....I could see the charge if the customer was at fault somehow, but not for warranty work. As was said, you paid for the warranty when you bought the stove. Charging for warranty work is just gouging the customer, and shouldn't be tolerated.

Ditto

j-takeman said:
Don2222 said:
Hello

The Harman 135 CFM OEM replacement Convection Blower is $195.00

It should be fairly easy to replace.

It is just bolted in and the electric wires should unplug.

Some blowers do not have oil plugs and cannot be serviced. If this is the case, then you need to just replace it!

See
http://www.stove-parts-unlimited.com/Harman_Distribution_Convection_Blower_p/3-21-22647.htm

Man that blower looks just like this one!

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/DAYTON-Shaded-Pole-Blower-2C647?Pid=search

thank you J...that is the exact blower motor and grainger has it listed under the exact part number. i had to replace the one in my P38 last winter and if i remember correctly the cost was right around $80 shipped. hope this helps. the replacement wasnt all that hard...remove the sloped tins on the back of the stove,remove the 4 bolts holding the blower on, and replace with new blower..if i remember correctly, you have to put on 2 spade connectors. btw, if you are looking at the front of the stove, that blower is on the right hand side, below the control panel...again, hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.