p68 feed rate

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

utahdl

Jan 16, 2007
I was concerned with the amount of ash building up. I adjusted the feed rate from 3 to 4 and it seems like the amount of ash is decreasing, but there still seems to be a lot. Being my first season burning, I really dont have anything to base whether or not it is a lot of ash. I am considering setting the feedrate at 5 as long as im not pushing embers into the ash pan. Does anyone set their feedrate that high? Is there a correlation between feed rate and quality of pellet? Any responses are appreciated.

Are you talking about the ash in the burnpot or the ash pan?
I would set it to 4, if you're not getting the heat to the room quick enough then move the feed rate up.
On average I would get about 1-2 cups of fluffy ash per bag of pellets, this when stirred would compress to about a cup of ash.

I am talking about the ash in the burn pot. I also am getting about 2 cups of ash per bag. It really builds up on the front corners, it just dosent seem to fall in the ash pan. When I clean it out, some of the ash is a bit stiff.

Some ash is funny like that some is like charcoal ash and some is like coffee grounds. Solids are clinkers which are like solid charcoal.
as it builds up on the front lip does it look like swiss cheese.
How many bags have you burned? Have you cleaned it yet?

Ive burned about 15 bags so far. I clean it about once a week, which consists of scraping the burn pot, emptying the ash pan, and vacuuming out the little area under the burn pot (not sure what its called) that I have to unscrew to get to.

GVA said:
That is more that enough.
I think what you are describing is normal.
KENNY where are ya, or other p68 people.

Sorry, had better things to do last night.... ;-)

Utahdl, I have a P61. I leave the feed rate at about 3. I have used maybe three different types of pellets and I always get ash build up in the corner of the burn pot. No big deal, I just knock it off in the morning before I go to work. At night, when I fuel up the stove, I again knock of the ash build up. It is usually kinda fluffy stuff. I'll try to attach a pic that shows about 6 hours of build up (at mainly a med burn, your milage may vary).

Hope that this helps.

Attachments

• Corner Ash.jpg
    Corner Ash.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 250
That picture looks like what I get.....If I see it I knock it into the ash pan. Sometimes I dont see it or the stove is running hard because it's cold and it will develop long fingers that get pushed into the ash pan.

Not a big deal IMHO and the stove still burns well with them there....(find it like that when I get home sometimes)

Oh and I have my feedrate @ 5. I just the stove to max and the feedrate to max and watched it burn for 30 min or so...at 6 it was starting to push hot embers into the ash pan. #5 it did not so looks like for this batch of pellets the feed rate is 5.

Last batch of pine pellets the feedrate was 6.....

Hello,

It seemgs as though Im getting much more ash than that. I will try to post a picture of my build up later tonight, i just cleaned it out. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.