P68 Feeder Screw Noises

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

apn73

Hello All,
My Harman P68 is making the noises, grinding and screeching, that is talked about in some other threads here. It doesn't do it continuously, several times a day it will make that screeching and grinding that sounds like the auger is passing something, and then it will run just fine for quite a while. What's perplexing is that the stove is new, only been running now for about two months, and have only put about half a ton of pellets through it. Could the fine box really have filled that quickly? I'm burning Green Supreme, which isn't too many people's favorite, but is the stuff really that bad? Thanks in advance for any input.
Best,
Adam.

Check the end of the auger tube for a build up of carbon and scrape and chisel clean. A 1/4 straight blade screwdriver with about a 8 inch shaft works well to evict to offending howlers. Common issue with Harman stoves and seems to be more with some brands of pellets.

Bioburner is right. Have you cleaned it? I did mine after about a dozen bags and that carbon built up at the end of the auger and in the burn pot can be tough to get off. I also use a flat screw driver. Works like a charm! Are you sure it is not a pellet getting pinched from time to time? I have heard my P68 make some funky noises here or there but each is short lived and I think it's man handling an uncooperative pellet. I have not heard a screech but some grinding yes. Sometimes a slight pop.

Thanks for the input guys. I've scraped the burn pot down a couple of times now, but haven't gone to far down the throat of the burn pot. Maybe screech isn't the right word, grinding and popping is definitely what it's doing. It does sound like uncooperative pellets, but then I read a post by another forum member about his dis-assembly of his stove and got concerned. If just seems really quick for that to happen with mine. I'll try the screw driver method that you guys suggested and we'll see what happens.

Popping can be a normal sound, the feed slider sometimes cuts pellets in half and that's what makes a pop. Longer pellets seem to do it more. Grinding is likely carbon buildup at the auger end.

Status
Not open for further replies.