P68 for sale

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

grh372

Jan 5, 2015
western mass
i have a chance to buy a used p68 2008 model year for 2500.00 supposedly it has new blower and circuit board. Do you guys think the price is right or too high for a 7 year old stove?

I bought a 2006 with all the original parts from the factory for $2500 this year. If it has a new blower and the updated circuit board I think it's a good deal. I was looking for about a year around here , but they just don't come up for sale at a decent price in my area.

I bought a 2006 with all the original parts from the factory for $2500 this year. If it has a new blower and the updated circuit board I think it's a good deal. I was looking for about a year around here , but they just don't come up for sale at a decent price in my area.
whats the difference between an old style and new style circuit board? how would i tell?

The new style or Rev. E came out in Nov. 2010. The part # for the new one is 1-00-05886. This board allows you to use a UPS with your stove. If power is lost your stove will know to shut down and use the UPS to pulse the combustion blower to remove smoke from your stove. This feature is not on the older boards. This is explained in the owners manual if there is one available.

The new style or Rev. E came out in Nov. 2010. The part # for the new one is 1-00-05886. This board allows you to use a UPS with your stove. If power is lost your stove will know to shut down and use the UPS to pulse the combustion blower to remove smoke from your stove. This feature is not on the older boards. This is explained in the owners manual if there is one available.
i have a chance to buy a used p68 2008 model year for 2500.00 supposedly it has new blower and circuit board. Do you guys think the price is right or too high for a 7 year old stove?
A new P61A goes for 37000.00 and of course the P68 a bit more so may be a help to you for price..

According to the Harman site they are $3999 - $100 coupon = $3899 plus perhaps a little more off from dealer?? My luck when buying something used, I have nothing but problems. I'm currently running a P43 and have a 1400 sq ft ranch and it's been working great!

According to the Harman site they are $3999 - $100 coupon = $3899 plus perhaps a little more off from dealer?? My luck when buying something used, I have nothing but problems. I'm currently running a P43 and have a 1400 sq ft ranch and it's been working great!
kewl..
btw:
Burning Energex Golden Pellets 0.5 ash right now [which no one here ever seems to have] but I burned a few bags of Presto logs from HD,[ noticed u burned also]
In December and they we're actually a good hot pellet with lot less ash than I exspected from Home Depots stuff they sell.
example is Stove chows which are very hot but a mountain of ash..

Attachments

• Bag_PremiumHardwood.png
    Bag_PremiumHardwood.png
    37.7 KB · Views: 120
Personally when buying a used stove that is out of warranty I wouldn't offer much more than 50% of the value of a new one. These craigslist sellers think they are selling gold. I had a guy tell me he wanted 3200 for a 5 year old xxv. Brand new my dealer is selling for 3700. In my area, Craigslist prices are hugely over inflated.

I know there is a guy at the eastern MA/NH border that is selling 10 year old P-series for anywhere from 2500 to 2900, so for the area, it sounds about right. However, I would see if he would lower his price. The worst thing that can happen is he says no, and at that point you can decide to pony up the $$ or walk.

Well, hopefully no one EVER offers a Craigslist seller the full price on anything. People list high on Craigslist hoping they will find a sucker, but knowing in reality there will be some negotiating involved.

Well, hopefully no one EVER offers a Craigslist seller the full price on anything. People list high on Craigslist hoping they will find a sucker, but knowing in reality there will be some negotiating involved.

Some people never think to negotiate. Heck, I've bought stuff off of CL without negotiating - what am I going to do, beat them up when they ask for $20 for a brand new, in box $250 cabinet? (and it was theirs; their name / address was on shipping label).

I've also sold stuff on CL where I would not budge on price. But, to be fair, I let people know that the price is firm up front. Don't waste my time offering lower.

Reactions: Pete Zahria
so i went to see the stove and it was a mess. the gas spray painted the entire stove to freshen it up and it was about a good as a spray painting job as a 5 year old kid could do.......it ran good but the chips and gouges that were sprayed over turned me away for that price. so i went to the stove shop on the way home and bought a brand new p68 in the box for another grand more. now i know it'll be better and not have to worry about replacing things that i would have if i had bought the beater on craigslist.

Reactions: bogieb
so i went to see the stove and it was a mess. the gas spray painted the entire stove to freshen it up and it was about a good as a spray painting job as a 5 year old kid could do.......it ran good but the chips and gouges that were sprayed over turned me away for that price. so i went to the stove shop on the way home and bought a brand new p68 in the box for another grand more. now i know it'll be better and not have to worry about replacing things that i would have if i had bought the beater on craigslist.
Like I said. These sellers think they are sitting on a gold mine. Good of you to walk away and make the smart decision. You will enjoy the warmth!

Blowers and boards are cheap. Can you test run the stove to ensure other mechanicals are not clunking and grinding? If sold as is, discount for a major mechanical upgrade. I would be happy at price around $1800 - 2100 total investment, including any upgrades.

Status
Not open for further replies.