P68 - Grinding Noise when first starting up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bdaoust

Nov 28, 2012
Western, MA
I've been noticing a random short grinding noise when the stove is first firing up after being off. Once it's been running, I don't hear it.

I cleaned the stove really good yesterday (fines box, exhaust, ignition cover, burn pot, etc.and still heard the noise.

I didn't notice any carbon build up at the base of the auger. There was some of the side of the burn pot and got most of it. Any tricks how to loosen this stuff up? I was using a flat head screwdriver and a hammer.

could just be the slide plate crushing a pellet or the cam mechanism creaking a bit. if everything else seems to be working ok I wouldn't get too excited about it. No real tricks to removing clinkers...a stern talking to never hurt though.

I use a Craftsman Gasket Scraper to clean my burn pot. Never tried a screwdriver but I'd image a screwdriver would do a much worse of a job. I never need to use a hammer on my P68 with the scraper.

I've noticed that too in my new XXV. I think Delta-T has it right.

Status
Not open for further replies.