p68 harman temp control

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

paul66

Feb 18, 2013
this is the second year i have used the p68. stove maintains temp on stove control but i have to set temp control to 75deg to maintain 70deg. problem just started after cleaning. i do a complete cleaning every time at two week intervals.

Are you running in Stove Temp Mode or Room Temp Mode?

I'm not sure I understand what the problem is?

i run the stove in room temp control most of the time. stove is in bsmt and when i set the thermostat to 70deg the upstairs gets close to 70deg. the last time i cleaned the stove i cleaned the exhaust port and the sensor that is in it. i was very careful not to damage the sensor. (it looks like a thermocouple not an rtd) now the stove has to be set on 75deg+ to maintain 70deg upstairs. does the feedback from the exhaust influence the room temp?

Hi Paul

I have had the same stove for 5 seasons. I was somewhat puzzled with the temp control, when I first got it, like you.

This is what I have found: the colder it get's the more you have to crank it up. I would say in the winter, I run it anywhere from 72 to 80. When it's 30 degrees, I may run at 72. When it's 15 below, I may crank it to 80. You can't really go by that thermostat, as it is not really that accurate. If it is confusing, use the set of numbers that are also there.

Tom C.

In room temp mode the exhaust temp is monitored to determine a burn rate that will satisfy the room temp probe. Where is the temp probe located?
If your room temp probe is in the basement then the stove is unaware of the temperature in the upper part of the house. Lot's of variables here that could effect difference you are experiencing.

If your temp probe is in the basement I will attempt a hypothesis based on the cleaning alone. The cleaning resulted in a more efficient stove and the stoves ability to satisfy the room temp happens faster. Before the cleaning the longer less efficient burns would take longer to satisfy the room temp probe resulting in more heat absorption by the structures. With the structures warmer more heat is allowed to convect to higher levels of the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.