P68 Installed and burned in

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gbreda

Minister of Fire
Aug 3, 2009
Lakes Region, NH
OK since the pic are attached, it must have really happend :)

The burn in went great and all is well.

I do have my first question. During shutdown, the auger would advance for a few seconds every so often. I assumed this was normal, but it seems odd that the unit would add pellets while shutting down. The dealer stated that it was clearing the auger system of pellets. Being a bottom feed system, I thought that the auger was open to the the hopper. Is there a system that opens to drop pellets into the auger system?

Attachments

• P68 Installed.jpg
    P68 Installed.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 388
  • P68 Roaring.jpg
    P68 Roaring.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 389
gbreda,

Very nice looking stove and flame! That should really put out some heat. It's still green there........

My XXV keeps dropping pellets into the auger feeder box and augering them into the burn pot for 10 to 15 minutes after shutdown is initiated. I think it's trying to cool the whole thing down slowly. If there are very few pellets in the hopper - you can look down at the slide plate assembly and watch it moving back and forth to drop the pellets into the feeder box, at the front of the auger. That's on the XXV - I don't know if it's the same on the p68. On mine it slides an inch to the right then an inch to the left. It's kind of slow and deliberate. The pellets sound like kibble dropping onto a pie tin.

Hope you love the stove - we love ours.

clifford

Congrats on your new stove! Bet you will love it.
Happy Burning

gbreda said:

I do have my first question. During shutdown, the auger would advance for a few seconds every so often. I assumed this was normal, but it seems odd that the unit would add pellets while shutting down. The dealer stated that it was clearing the auger system of pellets......

That's an odd system. One would think that for the fire to go out, you would want to stop supplying pellets to the burn pot ASAP. My Astoria stopped the auger as soon as it went to shutdown mode. The pellets stay in the auger, and as soon as the stove turned back on, pellets were supplied immediately.

BTW, yes, we see pics, so it really did happen....Nice! :)

I think the mechanism is the same, or pretty much the same, on all of the Harman's. My understanding is that the slide-plate is connected to the auger by a cam mechanism, so it can't function independantly; if the auger turns, the plate slides, and pellets drop in. so it couldn't be "clearing" the auger tube of pellets. Plus, when my stove starts up, I see the auger make one turn, and there are pellets right there, being pushed into the pot.
So why it continues to feed after you tell it to shut down, I don't know.

cac4 said:
.....So why it continues to feed after you tell it to shut down, I don't know.

Kinda reminds me of crappy Windows computers that you have to go to "start" to shut them down.....stooopid :roll:

I think it is to keep the pellets from burning back into the auger, there is something in the manual about it.

Edit:
Just looked at the manual and it says that the stove will gradually shut down.

macman said:
gbreda said:
I do have my first question. During shutdown, the auger would advance for a few seconds every so often. I assumed this was normal, but it seems odd that the unit would add pellets while shutting down. The dealer stated that it was clearing the auger system of pellets......

That's an odd system. One would think that for the fire to go out, you would want to stop supplying pellets to the burn pot ASAP. My Astoria stopped the auger as soon as it went to shutdown mode. The pellets stay in the auger, and as soon as the stove turned back on, pellets were supplied immediately.

BTW, yes, we see pics, so it really did happen....Nice!

I agree with macman that it is an odd system, at least to my mind. Stop fire=stop fuel. Makes sense to me. I had checked the manual before calling the dealer and posting and did not see anything about auger feed during shutdown.

It must be part of the gradual shutdown process. Or maybe BTU and his distributor buddies added this function in to use more pellets...wait, that is a conspiracy theory.

KIDDING !!!! :cheese:

Anyway, thanks for the comments, this thing should put out some great heat when the cold really sets in. And that is something I am not quite ready for and can definately wait.

It kinda makes sense to feed some pellets to reduce chances of burn back in the auger but my little P38 stops feeding pellets when I turn the stove off.
Of course the P38 *IS* the entry level model and the other models are more sophisticated.
That said, I apologize for not having contributed anything to the thread.

gbreda said:

I do have my first question. During shutdown, the auger would advance for a few seconds every so often. I assumed this was normal, but it seems odd that the unit would add pellets while shutting down. The dealer stated that it was clearing the auger system of pellets. Being a bottom feed system, I thought that the auger was open to the the hopper. Is there a system that opens to drop pellets into the auger system?

My Accentra does exactly what you described!!! I too thought it was interesting, but after talking to my dealer I understand now why it does what it does!!!

Nice lookin stove,

I am new to the forum but do not feel like it. I have been reading posts for quite some time now but just never post anything, i'd rather just read.
I've been seriously kickin around the idea to get me another pellet stove. I had a europa pellet stove for about 4 years or so and sold it. Had some issues with it and just got sick of workin on it. Not that I couldn't fix it myself but it just got old. I had it in the garage and really enjoyed the heat but took it out when i hooked up the infloor heat. I'm thinkin about putting in a new stove in the house and really want something nice looking that can pump some heat! I've done tons and tons of research and seen just about every stove burn at shows, fairs, and retail shops so i'm down to 2, maybe 3 choices.

fredber said:
.....I've done tons and tons of research and seen just about every stove burn at shows, fairs, and retail shops so i'm down to 2, maybe 3 choices.

Glad you finally posted...welcome!

As for the 2 or 3 final choices, they are????????? (insert drumroll here)

Status
Not open for further replies.