P68 Low draft check/set

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

timbo

Oct 9, 2009
Concord area, NH
Hi Folks,

Well the P68 has been running for a week now...everything seems to be working to textbook conditions (still no pics yet...sorry).

I guess at this point, because I have zero experience with a pellet stove and what everything should look like, flame, et al, I am at the mercy of pictures of "normal" running stoves....mine matches those pictures very closely so I assume I'm doing OK.

One thing I've been wondering about though and I've looked around on the forum for any information but couldn't find any.

There is a section in my user manual that mentions a low draft check and adjustment using a "Draft Meter" that only a dealer is supposed to have.

Is this something I need to be concerned about? Is there a way that a layperson can check this without that aforementioned meter? Should I have a dealer tech come out and check it as a general rule?

All thoughts and suggestions are welcome.

no, its fine... i've never had an issue w/ a harman drafting properly, and it sounds like yours is.

Thanks summit. I won't concern myself with it then.

On my Harman P-38 (manual ignition) I had to turn the low draft adjustment down to the minimum as I was having a hard time lighting pellets. It`s a breeze to start now and the stove runs excellent.
There is a correlation between voltage (at the stove outlet) and the setting. According to specs the factory sets the low draft trim pot for 118v. Voltage here is 125. I wouldn`t have thought 7v difference to be critical but it did make a huge difference starting the fire. Possibly the previous owner or installer needed to change the original setting where it was and therefore way out of adjustment at my home.
All that said , I`d not be thinking about fooling with yours since it`s new , warranted ,working fine , and no doubt has auto ignition.

Thanks Gio,

I'll have to whip out one of my trusty Fluke DVMs and check the line voltage at the socket. I doubt it's low...if anything, it might be a tad high...like yours, I think it's around 125vac.

The P68 does have auto ignition and it seems to working as advertised.

Tim

This is something I asked the dealer about before I bought the stove and he said they never even check it and have found in almost all cases it is fine if it is set from the factory. He said they only come out and check it if one is having problems. I have never had any problems with mine.

Mark Fellows said:
This is something I asked the dealer about before I bought the stove and he said they never even check it and have found in almost all cases it is fine if it is set from the factory. He said they only come out and check it if one is having problems. I have never had any problems with mine.

I got the same response when I got the XXV. Going on year 4 and so far no issues.
Hopefully I didn't just jinx myself. :eek:hh:

Status
Not open for further replies.