p68 major creosote problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

aaronnoel

Dec 12, 2010
southernct
This creosote after only 9 hours of use, completely scraped off old creosote. Seems to be coming from auger if I were to guess. On outside pipe at T I took off the bottom cap, wet creosote found, never had problems before. any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_0333.jpg
    IMG_0333.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 399
  • IMG_0331.jpg
    IMG_0331.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 378
esp probe might be reading wrong temp and not feeding enough. or you might have changed fuel type and new to increase feed rate. Could be a sticky feeder system if made from 2005 - 2008. might be a dirty combustion fan you need to clean behind it also. If your not going out on 6 blinks I bet the esp is bent and not reading the right temp.

ok, so I definitely abuse my esp probe while cleaning the pipe going out, I thought esp only mattered when running stove on room temp, I only use stove temp.did all this happen because of a damaged esp?

stove temp is read by esp.

well looks like I still need to learn some more basics, I've been cleaning my pipe that leaves my stove with a 3" wire chimney brush for sure I'm hitting that probe, if that were it is? fyi, through out all this my flame looks great! So while my esp is damaged it makes bad creosote real fast, but keeps a nice flame?

I am assuming the flame guide was taken off only to get a better picture? Just thought i'd ask! I notice one of the bricks is off kilter. Is that from a pile up of ash? If you feel the stove is thoroughly clean, my bet is on the esp.

Everything that stove does depends upon that ESP.

In addition to that would you please verify that the vertical section of your exhaust on the outside of your house is dead on bubble, it should never be tilted backwards. It is hard to tell from that picture.

Too much air will cause a sticky residue in a stove...

check the air intake flapper and make sure it ain't stuck closed.

well thanks for all the advice, as far as flame guide I took it off for full affect and the brick thats off track is just that way. I do think the pipe on the house is not level . I will check in day light. One more thing during this experience I never developed creosote on auger propeller that sends pellets into burn pot but the last time,the one in photo I did I'm a bit concerned that this stuff is all up and in my auger.

noelp68 said:
well thanks for all the advice, as far as flame guide I took it off for full affect and the brick thats off track is just that way. I do think the pipe on the house is not level . I will check in day light. One more thing during this experience I never developed creosote on auger propeller that sends pellets into burn pot but the last time,the one in photo I did I'm a bit concerned that this stuff is all up and in my auger.

Please check the air intake flapper that summit mentioned he services these things for real coin.

pipe leaning slightly toward house will not cause issue with the the way stove burns. As long as all clearance to combustibles are met all is ok, but it is just not pleasing to the eye

I wish I knew half of what you all know, there should be some sort of summer camp for pellet heads, anyway my flap is flaping and I just pulled out my esp probe and it's banged up and bent will replace and pray for end of creosote.you all really help me I would be going nuts without this site.

Status
Not open for further replies.