P68 - Melted Plastic Bag Residue On Top Of Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bdaoust

Nov 28, 2012
Western, MA
Hello everyone.

I bought a house recently that had a Harman P68 stove. Looks like someone might have hit the stove while hot with a pellet bag.

There is some white spotting - I'm assuming by the plastic melting. This area is not raised at all and not sure if even a straight razon would get it off.

I haven't tried Goo Gone yet.

Anyone have suggestions? I'd like to get the nice black finish back.

Thanks,
Brian

Get it good and hot and use some steel wool on the spots and use some stove black to touch up when the stove cools back down.

The top of the P68 gets really hot. I'm surprised it just hasn't burned off. While it's running and good and hot, maybe try then with a straight razor. Maybe it's not plastic there at all and only the result of their attempts to get plastic off originally. You'll probably have to repaint that section again anyway. I would be tempted to just wait till the end of the season.

Unfortunately plastic bags have to have things added to them to make them opaque hence the white. Could be simple calcium carbonate-marble dust etc.

Unfortunately, you likely will have to clean it off with steel wool, sandpaper, 3M pad, etc, and repaint the top. Depending on its location, you may be able to rig up a small makeshift paint booth with plastic sheeting and put a fan in the closest window blowing out. Take the screen out first and open another window for make up air. This MAY allow you to not have to remove the stove. Just go slow with the spraying.

I would be tempted to just wait till the end of the season.

Consensus is wait till off season, steel wool and repaint with open windows. If it isnt bothering anything, dont worry about it for now.

ETA: Dont try anything with chemicals to clean it at this point, it will just leave more spotting or uneven color. Best bet really is to steel wool and repaint with Stove Brite or Rutland hight temp stove paint. Just be careful this that stuff, it fries brain cells so use a mask.

I painted mine this past fall and it looks brand new again.

I melted a small hole in a bag a few weeks ago. The plastic came right off but stove was still hot. I think I just used paper towel(Dry)
But in your case it has been on the stove longer. Might make a difference.

That is why we pour the pellets into a metal ash can, then into the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.