P68 or Mt Vernon?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

adk4

May 27, 2008
Adirondacks
The P68 would be from a local dealer who has a very good reputation. The Mt. Vernon has to come from across the NY line 55 miles into VT.

We want to heat 2700 sf from a finished basement. It is a tight ranch house. .

Will the P68 be enough for this job ? Or do we need to go with the higher SF and BTU of the Mt Vernon? (Making note of the number of issues with the MT Vernon AE. we'd try to determine if Quad has ironed out the issues yet)

TIA

I'm new at this, but I was told that the mtvernon actually only heats around 2000 sq ft, at the 60,000BTU. I think that the p68 would heat better 68,000 BTU, but in my opinion mt vernon looks nicer

The answer may be that neither is going to do a good job heating from the basement unless the basement is fully insulated. Otherwise up to a third of the stove's capacity may used be heating the earth. And then there is the question of how will the heat get from the basement to the 1st floor?

If you want to really enjoy this heater, consider putting it on the first floor if at all possible. I recommend getting a supplemental pellet boiler or furnace if it has to be in the basement.

Firerstarter,
My opinion, P68! With that being said, the 10 million dollar question that is asked 10 million times a day "will it heat my house"? I would be caution with any salesman that says "yes" before you can get the question out of your mouth. This is an extremely subjective question to say the least! Do you like your house 65 degrees or 80 degrees? Do you like your farthest away rooms to be a little chillier (usually bed rooms)? Do you want to use 3 tons of pellets or 7? Do you want to have the stove pumping 5 pounds an hour to acheve you heating needs? I burned corn for several years and now pellets. There is nothing better that a warm glow in your living area on a cold winter's night. With that being said my buddy has his stove in his basement. He placed pleunum over the stove with a small fan in the duct to pull the air into his house forced air ductwork. this gentle circulation works great for him. But, his stove is rock'in all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.