P68 owners/pellet usage/ does your milage vary?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jbmaine

Apr 4, 2009
USA
Hi all, I am just now starting to run my new P68 on a some what constant use. If I understand correctly how the controls work, when running in stove temp mode I am feeding pellets at a constant rate. The number scale on the temp dial goes from 1-7 with 1 = 1 lb per hr, 2=2lb per hr and so on. So if I run the stove in stove temp mode set at 1 I should expect to run around 40 hrs per 40 lb of pellets. I have been doing this for the last three days and find I am only averaging around 22-24 hrs per bag ( 40 lb) of pellets. I have been running the stove set at, stove temp in the middle between L and H, feed adjuster dial at 4 and temp dial at 1. The stove is clean ( I gave it a good cleaning) vent is clear and I have tried a couple of different brands of pellets. Am I not understanding how all the controls work , is there something else I am missing or is this about as long as I can make a bag of pellets last. Do your stoves last longer on a bag of pellets?
Any input you can give me would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
JB

JB i'm also a fan of running my stove in Stove Temp Mode vs. Room temp mode. The thing about running stove temp over room temp is that you do have some control of your pellet feed. Your settings are good. If you feel your burning through way to much pellets set the upper limit to 3 (that is the feed adjuster) rather then 4. That is the upper limit of time the feeder will feed pellets. I set mine between 3-4. I also would note the pellets your using and the way they burn. That makes a tramendous difference. When you have a good pellet you can really turn down the stove temp dial to 2-3. There are many variables that play into how much a bag of pellets will last. Do a search on the forum and you'll see that this topic has been really outlined. I'll try to get a couple of threads for you and post them if I think they'll help.here is a link....

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/33212/

jbmaine,

I just installed a P68 a week and a half ago and I'm still learning how this pig works...It's a balancing act, me thinks. I am running mine in room mode right now (haven't tried stove mode yet) and I noticed a real difference in pellet usage dropping the temp from 70 degrees to 68. That makes sense. I am trying to get a handle on things so I can estimate if the 5 tons I bought are going to be enough to last the winter. It's not really cold yet and I'm dropping about one bag a day into the hopper.

In a week or two, I'll probably try stove mode and see if that changes usage up or down...

Medreach said:
JB i'm also a fan of running my stove in Stove Temp Mode vs. Room temp mode. The thing about running stove temp over room temp is that you do have some control of your pellet feed. Your settings are good. If you feel your burning through way to much pellets set the upper limit to 3 (that is the feed adjuster) rather then 4. That is the upper limit of time the feeder will feed pellets. I set mine between 3-4. I also would note the pellets your using and the way they burn. That makes a tramendous difference. When you have a good pellet you can really turn down the stove temp dial to 2-3. There are many variables that play into how much a bag of pellets will last. Do a search on the forum and you'll see that this topic has been really outlined. I'll try to get a couple of threads for you and post them if I think they'll help.here is a link....

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/33212/

thanks for the tips, I'll try dropping the feed adjuster down to 3. I've been burning OK's and NATURES HEAT. Both seem to last about the same amout of time. So do you think ( at the settings I described) I should get more than 22-24 hrs from a bag of pellets?
JB

Status
Not open for further replies.