P68/Should the stove glass get this dirty this quick?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jbmaine

Apr 4, 2009
USA
Hi all, Sorry if this is a completely novice question but I've only been running my stove for a couple of weeks and I'm still learning what is normal for pellet stoves. I know stove glass gets dirty ( I've seen pics people have posted) but I'm wondering if this dirty this fast is OK. As you can see the glass has quite a "smoked" pattern on it, also the side of the stove has some discoloration. Don't know if their related. The glass cleans up real easy with a wet paper towel but the "smoked pattern comes back after 3-4 hours of burning. I can see it grow and the pattern is the same every time. Should I be having to clean the glass every day? So far I have mostly been using the stove in stove temp settings, running the smallest fire I can ( just to take the chill out of the house) Could this be a contributing factor? I am burning Okanagans.
IMG_1795400x300.jpg

The camera flash makes the "smoked pattern" look white but it is really a brown color
Thanks for your help
JB

Seems normal to me if you are burning low heat fires.

The glass gets dirtier, quicker, when you operate the stove on low setting. Try at a higher setting maybe to compare....

I'm trying to run a test with my 2 stoves. One I'm running all day at a very low setting and the other I have on high and it only runs a few times a day. So far the Quad on high seems to be the way to go. I seem to use less pellets in this stove, which is bigger then my Harman. I have found with the Harman on low that I have to turn the pellet feed way down to keep the glass from getting real dirty real quick. I have mine set at 1.5 right now. This is out of a possible setting of 5. Might look at your pellet feed rate and see if turning it down helps with the glass. My stoves are in opposite ends of the house.

Bkins

Thanks foe the input, I don't mind cleaning the glass. Just wanted to make sure this was normal.
JB

JBMaine,

I clean the glass on our Lopi Leyden every day with swipes of the hot ash vac, when I do the quick vacuum out of the ash, just because I like to see the fire.

I use "White Off" by Rutland every other or third day as it helps keep the glass cleaner, longer.

I notice that Northline Express has White Off and another glass cleaner product I am wanting to try. ( Link below)Anyone used their glass cleaner?

http://www.northlineexpress.com/category/fireplace-glass-cleaner.asp

Ranger

Status
Not open for further replies.