P68 - Three Blinks - New ESP Probe - Won't Turn Off

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Enigma869

Feeling the Heat
Aug 27, 2011
Massachusetts
Good Evening All...

I was having some issues getting my stove to run properly in stove temp mode. The dealer, in an effort to eliminate issues replaced the ESP, the control board, and the room temp probe. This has all been done in the past week. The stove has been working fine since that was done in room temp mode. I had to back down the temperature earlier, because it was simply too hot in my house. When I went to turn it back up, it doesn't seem to be adjusting the flame upward and I'm getting three blinks on my status light. I know from the trusty search function that others have said this is a bad ESP probe, but how likely would that be, given that it was just replaced 4 days ago and has been working fine since? Can the three blinks mean anything else? This stove is only three months old, so I'm a bit perplexed.

John

While trying to figure out what is going on, I tried shutting it down, and it doesn't seem to want to shut off. It just keeps idling. Can I unplug it to shut it down without damaging it or filling my house with smoke? I turned the switch to off, unplugged the stove for a minute and then plugged it back in. I was under the impression that this would somehow re-set it. When I plugged it back in, it went right back to idling (even though the switch is in the off position). How do I shut this thing down? This is the first time I've ever encountered this, so I'm baffled.

Last edited:
Unlike a lot of MN,WI and Iowa at least your warm:)

While trying to figure out what is going on, I tried shutting it down, and it doesn't seem to want to shut off. It just keeps idling. Can I unplug it to shut it down without damaging it or filling my house with smoke? I turned the switch to off, unplugged the stove for a minute and then plugged it back in. I was under the impression that this would somehow re-set it. When I plugged it back in, it went right back to idling (even though the switch is in the off position). How do I shut this thing down? This is the first time I've ever encountered this, so I'm baffled.
Are you in auto or manual mode?

Are you in auto or manual mode?

I switched it from manual (which is where I usually keep it after ignition) to auto, as I assumed I would be turning it back on. Why do you ask?

I switched it from manual (which is where I usually keep it after ignition) to auto, as I assumed I would be turning it back on. Why do you ask?
My 43 did this once last year at the end of the season. Did the same put it in auto then off and it kept idling but no 3 blink as your post said. I opened the hopper lid and it took about 90 minutes to shut down. after I unplugged it and restarted it hasn't done it so far this year

My 43 did this once last year at the end of the season. Did the same put it in auto then off and it kept idling but no 3 blink as your post said. I opened the hopper lid and it took about 90 minutes to shut down. after I unplugged it and restarted it hasn't done it so far this year

Did you do anything beyond putting it in auto and opening the lid? Did you actually leave it unplugged to shut it down? I have the switch on "off", but it clearly isn't going to shut down and the hopper is full, so it's not going to run out of pellets anytime soon.

You could crack the door tripping the vacuum switch to shut off the auger.

Did you do anything beyond putting it in auto and opening the lid? Did you actually leave it unplugged to shut it down? I have the switch on "off", but it clearly isn't going to shut down and the hopper is full, so it's not going to run out of pellets anytime soon.
If your lid had a trip switch it will stop feeding. I hear the new stoves don't have them
If it is still burning I would not un plug it

You could crack the door tripping the vacuum switch to shut off the auger.

My concern with that is blowing ash into the room. There is still some fly ash flying around in there. Right now, the hopper lid is open, switch is on auto and stove set to off. No changes. Still idling away. Harman needs to come up with a better way to shut these things down when something is clearly wrong!

If your lid had a trip switch it will stop feeding. I hear the new stoves don't have them
If it is still burning I would not un plug it

This is a newer stove, so there is definitely now trip switch that my Accentra had. Do you know of any other way to shut this thing down?

Crack open the ash bin. It does not take much to loose the vacuum.

Try as Bio said open the door just a bit and it will trip the vacuum switch and also keep the fans running till the stove is cold

Empty the hopper ;)

Try as Bio said open the door just a bit and it will trip the vacuum switch and also keep the fans running till the stove is cold

Okay. I'll give that a shot. So, you guys are saying to crack open the ash pan door, and not the viewing glass door, correct? If that will have the same effect, I'll give it a shot.

Okay. I'll give that a shot. So, you guys are saying to crack open the ash pan door, and not the viewing glass door, correct? If that will have the same effect, I'll give it a shot.
Yes either will work
Good luck let us know

Yes either will work
Good luck let us know

Thanks guys. I cracked open the ash door and will wait for it to (hopefully) shut down. I assume that once it shuts down completely that I shout unplug it for a few minutes? I'm beginning to think that it isn't going to re-ignite if I ever get it to shut down. The status light is still flashing fast and furiously three blinks.

ESP securely plugged into the board? Wires pinched anywhere?

ESP securely plugged into the board? Wires pinched anywhere?

That I don't know. In the interest of full disclosure, I'm not remotely mechanically inclined, so I didn't replace the probe. All that I can really tell you is that the ESP probe was replaced about 5 days ago by my Harman dealer, and it's been working fine since then...until tonight.

John

Your stove I hope is hooked to a UPS or a good surge suppressor.

Okay...so the flame has finally gone out, after opening the ash door. Thanks for the tip. Now, my question is this...will this blower eventually shut down, or do I need to unplug the stove? The status light is still blinking. Just not sure if I should be unplugging the stove, or if it will eventually (hopefully, within the hour) shut down with that door open?

Okay...so the flame has finally gone out, after opening the ash door. Thanks for the tip. Now, my question is this...will this blower eventually shut down, or do I need to unplug the stove? The status light is still blinking. Just not sure if I should be unplugging the stove, or if it will eventually (hopefully, within the hour) shut down with that door open?
As the manual states the fans could run up to or over an hour for complete shut down

Depending on how warm the stove is, hopefully in an hour. Helps prevent any smoke from a buried smoldering pellet from smoking up the house.

Your stove I hope is hooked to a UPS or a good surge suppressor.

Not sure how good it is, but this is what I've always had both of my stoves plugged into, without much of an issue.

surge.jpg

This winter has been hard on keeping power clean. I finally got a higher end UPS and it keeps track of events. Surprising how many with a bad storm. Costs less than a new control board and can keep the stove going for half hour or so if power fails.

Status
Not open for further replies.