P68 won't shut down

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkDon

Feb 22, 2015
NE pennsylvania
Hello all, I'm having trouble with my P68. It doesn't want to shut down. With the knob in the off position the flame dies down to almost nothing and the distribution blower shuts off but the combustion blower keeps running and it keeps cycling pellets in at a very slow rate. I have read that they won't shut down completely untill the ESP probe reads below a certain degree. I have taken the probe out and cleaned it. Is their any way to test this or could I be experiencing some other issue? Thanks for the help, Mark

Mine is like this is long before stopping but eventually stopped after a few hours

The ESP has to get to 90::F before the stove will shut completely down. How old is the unit?
May be time to replace the ESP if it's clean & not working correctly...

Maybe I was rushing things. It did eventually stop feeding and shut completely down. The stove is about 6 years old. What's a typical life of a ESP just out of curiosity?

Reactions: jackman
I think you do not have a problem with your stove
This is the way to stop Harman stoves

The ESP has to come to a certain temp to fully stop and if the stove had been on a high fire before you turn the stove off it seems the board will make a few pellet feeds during a cooling off period. CAn't find the recorded temps that a member took with Harman Diagnostic tool with the temp #s. Its time to try and do taxes here so stove stuff gets put away;hm

Reactions: boo boo
Maybe I was rushing things. It did eventually stop feeding and shut completely down. The stove is about 6 years old. What's a typical life of a ESP just out of curiosity?
I don't think anyone has done a survey on the issue of ESP lifespan. The cost for a new ESP is around$70. There was one on the time when people started to replace gaskets. I think that average was close to 5 years. I did the Harman in the house at five years and seen a noticeable flame brightness. Its a very easy project and well under $15 for a kit with the upgraded graphite impregnated rope. If I get in any used stove now its just a SOP now to do the gaskets.

Attachments

• DSCN0510.JPG
    DSCN0510.JPG
    129.6 KB · Views: 96
Hello all, I'm having trouble with my P68. It doesn't want to shut down. With the knob in the off position the flame dies down to almost nothing and the distribution blower shuts off but the combustion blower keeps running and it keeps cycling pellets in at a very slow rate. I have read that they won't shut down completely untill the ESP probe reads below a certain degree. I have taken the probe out and cleaned it. Is their any way to test this or could I be experiencing some other issue? Thanks for the help, Mark

GOOD CLEANING OF THE INSIDE OF THE STOVE USUALLY FIXES THIS AND MAKING SURE YOU CLEAN THE HEAT EXCHANGER GOOD

the combustion blower keeps running and it keeps cycling pellets in at a very slow rate
In the off position why would it keep feeding pellets ??

To minimize the possibility of burn back. Seems to happen after the stove has been run hard for awhile so it makes sense to me. I have another stove that always does that.

Shut Down Procedure
The best way to shut down the stove is simply let it run out of
pellets. The stove will shut down automatically.Alternatively,
you can turn the Mode Selector to “off”. This will cause the
fire to gradually die down and go out. The fire will not go out
immediately and may take more than an hour to fully shut
down.
If the stove is left to run out of fuel, you may get a 6 blink
status light. If this happens simply reset the control board by
turning the mode selector to OFF and back ON

When I shut down my stove, after I move the knob to "off" I scrape the pot clean reaching down removing everything from the pot. The augur my spin a few more times but usually stops. Exhaust fan will continue to run for some period of time until the stove cools. Could take as long as hour but usually much less.

Status
Not open for further replies.