PA hemlock

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ckarotka

Minister of Fire
Sep 21, 2009
Northwest PA on the lake
Is hemlock worth a 60 mile round trip for 1.5-2 cord for free? Well free with cost of gas at 10mpg both ways in a dump and trailer.

Hemlock is a softwood . . . but it's the more dense scale of softwoods. Me, I don't go out of my way for hemlock (or most other softwoods), but it sounds like there is plenty of it and it's free . . . if you have he time, storage space and inclination and no other access to as much wood (or better wood) I might say go for it . . . me, personally, having access to much better wood a lot closer . . . I would pass . . . it's a long drive for wood that isn't primo.

I just can't seem to get those "good scores" of real hardwood this year. I have some oak (1/2 cord) for this year with cherry but next year is looking like all maple and soft woods. Since I know I will go through more wood being of the soft variety I'm seriously considering this hemlock just for the shear volume it.

How does it split. I took one small pine last winter and it was a PITA. If it's like that the guy can keep it.

I had a big hemlock that died in my backyard. When it dried it was very light. It burned somewhat quick but fine. My only beef is that it was so light, as in low btus per cubic foot.

I have split a little bit of Hemlock, big rounds from the trunk of a large tree, and they split pretty easy.

Given a choice between driving 60 miles for maple or 50 miles for hemlock, I'd go for the maple.
I'd rather split hemlock by hand than pine.

60 miles is tough. It beats buying cordwood, but it does burn kinda quick.

If you have a day to spend getting something, something is better than nothing.
If you don't have room for it you might wait for something , too.

I've burned pallets because I didn't have a saw or dry wood, so to me firewood work and effort is somewhat relative to that.
I can be picky and I can be cutting up pallets because I was too picky too.

It all depends upon your situation if it is worth the drive or not. Most folks would not but if wood is hard to come by, then <$20 for gas very well might be worth it.

Backwoods Savage said:
It all depends upon your situation if it is worth the drive or not. Most folks would not but if wood is hard to come by, then <$20 for gas very well might be worth it.
+1 ..... luckily I'm now in a situation where I wouldnt drive that far for good hardwood.

I was told the wrong location and turns out to about 40 miles round trip. Still not all that close. It's not going anywhere right now so if I don't find anything better before the snow flies I'll scoop it up.

Thanks guys for the input.
Charlie

Status
Not open for further replies.