PA Pellets and Trae Heat?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fireitup

Oct 11, 2014
Waterbury, CT
Just got back from my first ever visit to BT Pellets in Bristol, CT. Cool place, too bad they didn't have many pellets!:( Sold out of virtually everything they normally sell: Energex, Cubex, O'Malley's, Hamers, Maine Woods, LaCretes, etc. Very nice guys there though, were getting ready to close at 1pm, and didn't rush me out when they knew I was only interested in trying a few single bags as a newbie. All they could offer were PA Pellets and Trae Heat. PA's are NOT from PA...duh. They're from Pittsford, NY. The Trae Heats are from, wait for it...Bumpass, VA! Anyone have any experience with either of these? The Trae's say <0.7% ash, we'll see. Kid said they're new there, and once they get people to try 'em, they come back for more. All I've burned so far are FSU's and Chows. I like both. FSU seems like less ash and more consistent size. The Chows throw great heat for the money, but the ash is a bit much. Chow size has been good as well. I have to clean every 72 hours, and usually have 2+" of ash filling the entire firebox. Any comments on the PA's or Trae's would be helpful so I know what to expect. I'll post my uneducated findings once I'm through these few bags.;)

Did they say if they had anything in stock in Suffield location?Looking forward to test results.

Keep us posted. I've heard around the forum that they're pretty low on stock. Are they delivering tons? Taking on any new customers?

Don't want to spread misinformation, but it seemed to me that the only 2 brands they had left, bags or pallets, are the 2 that I purchased. They have emtpty bags of each brand they carry pinned to the office ceiling, and every last one of them had a tag on it that said those two tragic words..."sold out". There were lots of pallets stacked everywhere, but I have to assume they were all spoken for, ready for delivery or pickup.

Was hoping for more feedback on these 2 brands?:( Here's my take. I've burned nothing but FSU's and Chows to date. The Trae's put out almost NO heat!!!_g I didn't even think this was possible. Pellets are all made via the same process I wouild imagine? Variables are wood source, binders used, moisture content, etc. I actually woke up to a cold house, 65-66 upstairs and maybe 67-68 downstairs. With the Chows, I cannot sit 6 feet from the stove for more than a couple of minutes...just too hot. With the Trae's this morning I sat with a coffee for almost an hour, staring in disbelief. My hopper floor is generally hot to the touch, can't plant your palm there and leave it. With the Trae's burning all night, I could palm the hopper...that's just weird.:oops: Had a good, lively flame, just no heat to speak of. I'd say Chows are twice the heat, maybe more! The PA's were much better, burning them now, but the heat is still half the Chows, or so it seems. Won't know until I shutdown for cleaning, but the ash so far from 1 bag of Trae and 1 bag of PA doesn't look too bad. I'm still stunned that pellet's heat output can vary this much, especially with a visually good burn going, it just seems to defy physics.:oops: Now for further newbie experimentation, I'm about to burn a bag of dirty, nasty, crappy, un-American, Green Supremes that I picked up this morning while I was out...LOL!;lol

Also, both Trae's and PA's smelled heavy of sawdust when I opened their bags, as if I had just ripped a fresh 2x6 with a circular saw. FSU and Chows do not have the sawdust aroma, at least not in my experience. Between the two, FSU a little cleaner and nicer size, but the Chows have the edge on heat output. I just saw here on the Mill that Chows are made by Energex? True or false?:rolleyes:

Stay away from the PA Pellets. Nothing but misery with them. Low heat and dirty.

Burned almost 2 tons Chows last winter.Actually finishing up the remainder of last year.
Very very hot as posted but a shi...load of ash......
I didn't buy any this year because HD in the're infinite greedy wisdom,
raised the prices $20.00 to same as I pay here from a Stove dealer for Energex hardwoods and O'Malley's..soooo, they lost my business for now anyways..
If I had not gotten early buy, i prob wouldn't have any choice...
but I did have a choice. I pre- ordered last May.

Last edited:
I just picked up a few bags of Trae Heat yesterday as I saw them at a local hardware store. I emptied out my hopper this morning and am putting a bag through today. I work from home, so I have the opportunity to monitor how the stove is burning and honestly, so far, I'm not too impressed with the pellets. They seem to generate more ash than the Lignetics I had been burning (even though the Lignetics should have a slightly higher amount of ash!) and the heat from them seems to not exist.

That said, I haven't given up on them yet. I checked my hopper and noted that I had used about 1/2 the amount of pellets I would have used burning the Lignetics pellets on the same heat mode settings. I would say these pellets are 1/4" to 1/2" longer, on average, than the Lignetics I was burning. I'm wondering if part of the problem is simply that my 25-PDV isn't getting enough fuel, since when I turn the stove up to the higher heat mode settings they do seem to put out some heat. I know the 25-PDV has a choke plate in the hopper so I am thinking about opening that up to see if I can get more pellets to feed at once and perhaps get a more fair comparison.

At least where I had bought my test bags from, they wanted $275 per ton, so they are going to have to make a huge improvement before I'll consider buying any.

Stay away from the PA Pellets. Nothing but misery with them. Low heat and dirty.
Agreed. Using Lignetics for two years. Good heat and really low ash. Never got what I'd consider outstanding pellets at a big box store either but sometimes beggars can't be choosers. Word of advice: When you find decent pellets load up!

After playing around with the Trae Heat pellets some more, I have determined that for whatever reason they just do not burn well in my 25-PDV. When I crank the stove up to the highest heat mode they do put out _some_ heat. However, they seem to want to burn dirty and they produce way more ash than the bag suggests they should. I still have two bags, and maybe I would consider putting them through the stove on a warm day, but even that might not be worth it for the sooty mess they made in my stove...

Status
Not open for further replies.