PA Pellets.....looking for feedback.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Branson4720

Burning Hunk
My local Farmer's Co-Op is running a sale on PA Pellets this month.....with my discount they are less than 200.00/ton :) Feedback is appreciated!

I wasn't too impressed with them. Middle of the pack stuff at best. My trials were before the Dry Creek merger so things could be better these days.

I just know you gotta try them, So we'll see what you think of them! ;-)

I didn't really know what clinkers were until I burned PA pellets in my Quad M. Vernon. OMG!!!!! NEVER AGAIN! I was ready to bag 'em up and sell them as lava rocks.

However, I have also found that what gives me trouble often works well in my buddy's Harman and vice versa. But he didn't try the PAs . . .

cavermedic said:
I didn't really know what clinkers were until I burned PA pellets in my Quad M. Vernon. OMG!!!!! NEVER AGAIN! I was ready to bag 'em up and sell them as lava rocks.

However, I have also found that what gives me trouble often works well in my buddy's Harman and vice versa. But he didn't try the PAs . . .

HMMMMMMMMMM! Maybe this is why they're blowing them out the doors for cheapo?? :bug:

j-takeman said:
I wasn't too impressed with them. Middle of the pack stuff at best. My trials were before the Dry Creek merger so things could be better these days.

Yes, that's what I'm thinking too! ;-) When exactly was the Dry creek merger? I have to find out if this stuff is old stock or newer stuff first. They used to be dry Creek dealers....but started selling the PA's last fall...........coicidence? BTW....I used to really like the Dry Creeks...very similar to Barefoots in my opinion.

Branson4720 said:
j-takeman said:

Yes, that's what I'm thinking too! ;-) When exactly was the Dry creek merger? I have to find out if this stuff is old stock or newer stuff first. They used to be dry Creek dealers....but started selling the PA's last fall...........coicidence? BTW....I used to really like the Dry Creeks...very similar to Barefoots in my opinion.

PA bought Dry Creek last summer. Many of the Creeks dealers are now selling PA. But oddly the PA are cheaper than the Creeks??? Looks like Creeks are there premier brand and the PA took a back seat. I heard the Creek quality stumbled slightly since the purchase.

j-takeman said:
Branson4720 said:
j-takeman said:

PA bought Dry Creek last summer. Many of the Creeks dealers are now selling PA. But oddly the PA are cheaper than the Creeks??? Looks like Creeks are there premier brand and the PA took a back seat. I heard the Creek quality stumbled slightly since the purchase.

I'll do some investigating! ;-)

I didn't like the PA pellets that I tried this year. The pellet stove took noticeably longer to light and the flame was not as high as compared to other brands I have used. It almost seemed like they were "struggling" to burn.

PJPellet said:
I didn't like the PA pellets that I tried this year. The pellet stove took noticeably longer to light and the flame was not as high as compared to other brands I have used. It almost seemed like they were "struggling" to burn.

Thanks for the feedback.....seems like these things are crappy at best! ;-)

So, How does PA pellet buy out Dry Creek and still stay in business producing JUNK.........Just askin' :bug:

Branson4720 said:
So, How does PA pellet buy out Dry Creek and still stay in business producing JUNK.........Just askin' :bug:

2 separate operations. The parent company (BioMaxx Inc) bought out Dry Creek, but the pellets will still be made in the same plant as before. Hopefully, with the same people running it.

Hi Folks, my experience with PA pellets has been fantastic this Winter! I tried out a few bags in Dec. and liked them so much that I went back and bought a ton of them. They burn great for me. I'm getting temps of 260 to 275 degrees out of them and I get low ash and no buildup or clinkers. They are one of the best pellets that I have burned. I put them right up there with Hamers and some of the softwood like Blazers. I keep an oven thermometer on the output blower on my stove and I'm getting 275 degrees constantly and that's with mostly factory settings and running the feed rate at 2 and the blower at 2. I had a little trouble with at first with my stove overheating and shutting off due to over temps. I've dialed the
LBF ( low burn feed) down to 3 from the factory recommended setting of 5 or 6 and it burns not so hot and I mix in about 25% of some not so hot pellets to help keep it from going ballistic also. I don't know if I got an extra hot clean batch or if this is what PAP is putting out this year but I'm damn happy with them. My local supplier sold out of them last month and is trying to get more. I'll be stocking up for next year is he does! If you run across some of this current production I'd recommend trying a few bags.

Attachments

• stovetemp1.jpg
    stovetemp1.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 475
  • papell1.jpg
    papell1.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 461
Unless they've changed their quality, PA Pellets are junk. Dirtiest pellet I've ever burned and they don't have a high heat output either.

Thanks for all the feedback.......these are definitely some mixed reactions! :roll:

lorne41 said:
Hi Folks, my experience with PA pellets has been fantastic this Winter! I tried out a few bags in Dec. and liked them so much that I went back and bought a ton of them. They burn great for me. I'm getting temps of 260 to 275 degrees out of them and I get low ash and no buildup or clinkers. They are one of the best pellets that I have burned. I put them right up there with Hamers and some of the softwood like Blazers. I keep an oven thermometer on the output blower on my stove and I'm getting 275 degrees constantly and that's with mostly factory settings and running the feed rate at 2 and the blower at 2. I had a little trouble with at first with my stove overheating and shutting off due to over temps. I've dialed the
LBF ( low burn feed) down to 3 from the factory recommended setting of 5 or 6 and it burns not so hot and I mix in about 25% of some not so hot pellets to help keep it from going ballistic also. I don't know if I got an extra hot clean batch or if this is what PAP is putting out this year but I'm damn happy with them. My local supplier sold out of them last month and is trying to get more. I'll be stocking up for next year is he does! If you run across some of this current production I'd recommend trying a few bags.

What is the date on the bags?

chrisasst said:
lorne41 said:

What is the date on the bags?

Hi, it looks like 11-11 for Nov. 2011. Here's a pic from one of the bags.

Attachments

• papell3.jpg
    papell3.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 458
I'll confer, middle of the road pellets. But what do I know, its my first year burning. I paid 210/ton for them, and dont have to go far to pick them up. Hamers that I could find were quite a bit more expensive, and not work the added cost for the price they were asking. I'm trying a ton each of 4 different brands and will know what I prefer to stock up on as the heating season winds down.

Well, I must say I picked up a couple of bags yesterday ( had the date 11/11 as well), The EF2 cranked the heat with them. I am currently firing up the Englander with them right now. See how they do in there. I also must say, they smell alot better than the North american pellets.

PJPellet said:

After the date posts I checked the date on my PA Pellets. They are 12/10. So over a year old, maybe the current production are better. It sounds like the newer run of pellets are better. I just picked these up from my dealer, not sure why his pellets are so damn old.

I tried a couple of bags of PA and a couple of the Dry Creek a couple of weeks ago. I didn't see much difference in what I am burning now as far as heat goes.

chrisasst said:
Well, I must say I picked up a couple of bags yesterday ( had the date 11/11 as well), The EF2 cranked the heat with them. I am currently firing up the Englander with them right now. See how they do in there. I also must say, they smell alot better than the North american pellets.

These are not doing so well in my Englander. About 70 degrees cooler than the North Americans Pellets. Only difference is my window is spotless and less ash.

chrisasst said:
chrisasst said:

These are not doing so well in my Englander. About 70 degrees cooler than the North Americans Pellets. Only difference is my window is spotless and less ash.

Hi Chrisasst, you might have to tune in your 25PDVC to get the best results with the PAP's. I'm not having any problems with them except for the overheating I mentioned before. My 25PDVC seems to like them a lot. I've switched over the Green Supreme because temps outside are in the 30 and 40's ( YAHHHH ) and I need a pellet that's not quite so hot. With the PAP's I'm running my stove at 4 6 1 with a feed rate of 2 and a blower speed of 2 and am getting 275 constantly with them. The Green Supreme are 225 -245 at the same settings. I don't know if I got a really good batch of the PAP's, but they're sure working for me! I checked with my local hardware store that sold them and they reported that the other stove owners like them a lot also and have been asking them to get more.

I changed my bottom 3 to 9-6-1 top two at 2 4. I am getting about 50 degrees hotter with those settings. (was at 3-5-1 9 9)

chrisasst said:
I changed my bottom 3 to 9-6-1 top two at 2 4. I am getting about 50 degrees hotter with those settings. (was at 3-5-1 9 9)

Wow, I've never run my stove at 9 and 9 ! I've cranked it up to 5 and 5 a couple of times and it gets really hot with those numbers... I'm glad you're getting some better heat out of the PAP's now. Weird how the same stove will operate differently depending on the installation.
I also put in a new combustion motor last month and replaced the lower auger motor with a Gleason Avery ball bearing motor which is giving me more consistent pellet feed as compared to the original MK auger motor. All I can tell you is that I'm really happy with the PA Pellets that I have and I plan on buying some more if I can find them way up here.

Thanks for all the feedback so far. :) The inside scoop on this sale is that they are WAY overstocked from pellets that have been hanging around since early last summer :bug: I'll pass on that until some new stock arrives! ;-P

Status
Not open for further replies.