Pacific Energy Alderlea T4 - gaps in bricks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Creature

Jul 18, 2009
Vancouver, Canada
I imagine it isn't anything to be concerned about, but there are gaps in the bricks of my T4 by the ash chute. Do any other Alderlea owners have the same issue?

Attachments

• IMG_8406A.jpg
    IMG_8406A.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 541
Stove floor, because the manual (Page 24 - T4 Firebrick Installation Instructions) says:

This package contains 12 full-size firebricks, as well as 2 various cut bricks.
If your heater came with an ash cleanout system, or an optional one is being
installed, exclude one full-size brick.

With the heater in the upright position, install firebricks as follows:

1. Install 4 full-size firebricks against the rear wall.
2. Install the side firebricks, 2 full-size each side.
3. Place 4 full-size on the bottom of the heater.

Those gaps are not in our T6. The back half brick looks like it wants to be rotated 90 degrees, but not sure about the front partial brick. Can the left bottom brick be moved more toward the middle of the stove?

The vista sized PE stoves always had a little gap around the floor bricks... after a a few fires this gap fills in w/ ash and is no longer seen.

Thanks BeGreen.

I think it looks like that because I rotated it 90 degrees to see if it fit better. Of course when I rotate it back that 90 degrees, the gap down the middle is slightly smaller but the gap between the ash chute "collar" and the brick is larger (6 of one ... ). I think I'll give PE a call, I haven't bugged them yet - I think ICC (Excel Chimney and Ultrablack stovepipe) knows my voice by now, I might as well get PE used to me.

Summit. Thanks for your reply also. I thought I'd be okay, but there is nothing like consulting with a community of users to confirm. Just in case something made it past PE's quality control.

Summit's an installer. It sounds like this is not uncommon. Maybe try moving the side bricks in to close up the gap and split it to the outside edges? That should fill in quickly with ash.

On my T6 there was a gap next to the ash chute. I just cut a spare brick to fit the small hole. There is another thread where someone did just as I did.
Our gap was small and only in that one spot.

PE does send an extra brick - for the T4s that go out without an ash chute (I didn't know that was an option!) - so if I get real ambitious I could cut that brick to get a better fit. However, even if I do that, there will be a small gap in the middle. All of the bricks are the same width/length, except the 2 by the ash chute, and I haven't figured out how to put the puzzle pieces together without a gap (with/without following the instructions).

If it's not a safety concern, I'll deal with it later (or maybe never) because I want to get this thing fired up.

Mine is the same. I just spaced them as evenly as possible. Just remember to fill the ash void with ashes after clean out as stated in the manual. If I don't mine draws a little air through the ash door and burns hot right there. My 2¢

CSAW:

Perfect, another T4 owner I assume.

I follow on filling the void. Seems to be in the manual (just looked it up) on Page 18 - Ash Removal - Ash Cleanout System:

Fill the cavity with the remaining ash level with the firebox floor.

On the same page, a little above this instruction it says:

Leave an ash bed approximately 1" (25 mm) deep on
the firebox bottom to help maintain a hot charcoal bed.

Which I also intend on following (even if it wasn't in the manual, thanks to hearth.com).

madison:

I'm not sure how many more layouts I could try, but suffice to say I've tried everything I could think of before posting. I was just looking for other T4 owners to help confirm that there is a gap (or void, if you prefer).

madison said:
The first spring cleanout i performed, on a t6, i did not keep track of the pieces as i removed them, and it took me a bit to get them back in the right spots... been there, done'it, good to see some other t4 owners helping you out.

In all of this, I noticed that the layout and the installation intructions for the T4 bricks are quite different (than the T5 and T6). The T5 and T6 both have some (3 or more) "various cut bricks" that could make things confusing on re-assembly, but with the execption of the 2 obviously smaller bricks in the T4, they're all the same size.

Now, all I need is that last 5in stovepipe piece, inspection, insurance confirmation .... and FIRE!

Looks like it'll be one side or the other ... of New Years.

Status
Not open for further replies.