Pacific Energy Alderlea T5 Repair Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
IMG_1199 (2).JPG IMG_1200.JPG
A few years ago we lucked onto a slightly used T5. Looked in good condition so we bought it. Loved it from that first winter on. However, the door has never had the tight seal we should be getting. Finally got around to replacing the gasket, and that still didn't help. Looking at the latch, I noticed that two of the screws were stripped (lower and middle ones). That explains the door not being tight. However, I also noticed that there is a crack in what looks like part of the firebox. That is a whole other issue. It may have been there when we bought it, then again, maybe not.

The question is whether we should try and have it repaired, or get another one. I have read conflicting posts as to the feasibility of welding/brazing cast iron. I assume the stripped screws would not be to onerous. Opinions? BTW, we fire pretty much 24/7, and use about 6 cords a winter. Appreciate any help as always. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
The area where your crack is at is not cast iron (which can be welded, just difficult) it is steel and can easily be welded. I would just drill out the stripped screws and replace. My opinion would be to repair the Alderlea T5, it is an expensive quality stove.

The area where your crack is at is not cast iron (which can be welded, just difficult) it is steel and can easily be welded. I would just drill out the stripped screws and replace. My opinion would be to repair the Alderlea T5, it is an expensive quality stove.

That's right, forgot the firebox is steel. Repair it is. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.