Pacific Energy Baffle gasket location

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tommybro

Mar 18, 2008
Terryville, CT
Hi, I hope someone can answer my question on the correct position of the baffle gaskets on the pacific energy summit insert.

I installed it and thought I had the gasket installed right, but I do not think I am getting a good secondary burn.

When I was installing I had thought that the gasket was supposed to go over the pipe but looked like it would rip if I was to try to streach it over it so I rested it on top and installed the baffle. When I was not getting a good secondary burn I took it out and of course the gasket it shot all ripped and unusable.

I went to the stove store and they did not have the gasket ( it's on order ) but I did get some flat braided gasket material and made a template out of one of the demo units they had there. I cut out and made the gasket and put it in what I think is the correct position ( on top ).

I started the fire again with pretty much the same results.

I could be crazy but I think the secondary burn should be almost like a rolling effect of flames. The flames I am getting if any when the air is all the way down or near down ( like a 1/4 inch from the low side ) go straight up.

The wood I am using is well seasoned down for about 2 years and I have a good bed of coals.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Tom

Mine do that, so cant wait for an answer to your question.

Link to pictures for placement of the baffle gasket-- https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewreply/281372/

I think I know what you are asking in regards to the visuals of secondaries, all I would add is IMHO the "light show" is variable. Wood load, draft, air control position, stove temp, wood type, split size all being variables.

I would suggest, that as long as you are not getting visual smoke out of your chimney secondary burn is complete.

Otherwise, see your local dealer, ask for the "purple haze" ingest - crank up some 1977 Grateful Dead, Allman Brothers or Phish and you may see what you are looking for....

madison said:
Link to pictures for placement of the baffle gasket-- https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewreply/281372/

I think I know what you are asking in regards to the visuals of secondaries, all I would add is IMHO the "light show" is variable. Wood load, draft, air control position, stove temp, wood type, split size all being variables.

I would suggest, that as long as you are not getting visual smoke out of your chimney secondary burn is complete.

Otherwise, see your local dealer, ask for the "purple haze" ingest - crank up some 1977 Grateful Dead, Allman Brothers or Phish and you may see what you are looking for....
I am glad you brought up the secondary thing, 550 stove top 400 flue parimary air turned all the way down and I have smoke out the chimney, yes the wood is dry.

tommy, The link provided by madison shows the great job hogwilz did with a piece of gasket material. The PE gaskets I use have a front and back face with one being slightly wider than the other. When installed in the correct orientation the gasket slips easily into position over the rear male channel. If you have to "work" it into position you might have the faces reversed. It makes no difference which side of the gasket is "up" or "down". Check that out.

If you believe your stove is burning differently after you installed the rear gasket check to be certain the gasket retaining pin is properly installed and that the baffle retainer is properly inserted through its rear slot. Also be certain the baffle is properly centered in the top of the burn chamber and that both sides of the baffle rest on the side baffle supports. Removing and installing the baffle can be a bit awkward and it is easy to make the mistakes I note above. A baffle that is not properly centered and supported on both sides will interfere with proper burning. How do I know? I made those mistakes. John_M

Edit: I am assuming the gasket for both the spectrum and summit are the same. If not, perhaps someone with more knowledge than I will chime in.

Personally i think that the baffel gasket IS useless. I have an old summit 11 years old without a gasket at all and it has great secondaries, as long as the wood is dry the firebox temp and draft is right. Of course I get great visual secondaries in the back of the box where the gasket suppose to be and it is an actual advantage of being able burning in the rear of the stove.

Only my opinion.

The gasket is not useless. I tried both ways and could definitely see increased rear secondary burning around the baffle supply tube. With gasket in place, that stopped.

I'm not sure why everyone is obsessing over the secondary light show. It comes and goes and is not at all like the fountain of fire I saw with secondary tubes. But also, the secondary burn varies alot with the wood, size of the load and how quickly it's outgassing. The T6 (and I suspect the Summit) door somewhat blocks the view of the front burn holes unless you are lying on the floor looking up. That is where a lot of secondary burning occurs.

BeGreen said:
The gasket is not useless. I tried both ways and could definitely see increased rear secondary burning around the baffle supply tube. With gasket in place, that stopped.

I'm not sure why everyone is obsessing over the secondary light show. It comes and goes and is not at all like the fountain of fire I saw with secondary tubes. But also, the secondary burn varies alot with the wood, size of the load and how quickly it's outgassing. The T6 (and I suspect the Summit) door somewhat blocks the view of the front burn holes unless you are lying on the floor looking up. That is where a lot of secondary burning occurs.
Not obsessing about anything, it seems like the secondaries in people pictures are more intense than mine, could be just the pictures. And yes I lay on the floor to see if they are burning. I just want to make sure the stove is working right cause to tell you the truth I am not that impressed so far.

Madison, THANKS for the link as I suspected I was not installing it correctly, should have know, it did not seem right so I should have known.

On the secondary light show I do have some of those cd's kickin around so I will have to play them and use my thoughts from days gone by !

I'll report back on how things work out after I get everything in and settled.

Thanks again for responses

John_M said:
tommy, The link provided by madison shows the great job hogwilz did with a piece of gasket material. The PE gaskets I use have a front and back face with one being slightly wider than the other. When installed in the correct orientation the gasket slips easily into position over the rear male channel. If you have to "work" it into position you might have the faces reversed. It makes no difference which side of the gasket is "up" or "down". Check that out.

If you believe your stove is burning differently after you installed the rear gasket check to be certain the gasket retaining pin is properly installed and that the baffle retainer is properly inserted through its rear slot. Also be certain the baffle is properly centered in the top of the burn chamber and that both sides of the baffle rest on the side baffle supports. Removing and installing the baffle can be a bit awkward and it is easy to make the mistakes I note above. A baffle that is not properly centered and supported on both sides will interfere with proper burning. How do I know? I made those mistakes. John_M

Edit: I am assuming the gasket for both the spectrum and summit are the same. If not, perhaps someone with more knowledge than I will chime in.

The baffle gasket for the Summit is bigger than the gasket for the Spectrum. However the gasket for the Spectrum and the smaller PE stove (can't think of the name) is, I believe, the same.

oldspark said:
BeGreen said:

Not obsessing about anything, it seems like the secondaries in people pictures are more intense than mine, could be just the pictures. And yes I lay on the floor to see if they are burning. I just want to make sure the stove is working right cause to tell you the truth I am not that impressed so far.

Oldspark, it seems like that this new stove has been obsessed and worried about 24/7. Move the old Nashua back into the house. That seems to be where the comfort zone is.

oldspark said:
BeGreen said:

It seems like that this new stove has been obsessed and worried about 24/7. Move the old Nashua back into the house. That seems to be where the comfort zone is. Sometimes an old dog just can't learn new tricks.

oldspark said:
BeGreen said:

It seems like that this new stove has been obsessed and worried about 24/7. Move the old Nashua back into the house. That seems to be where the comfort zone is. Sometimes an old dog just can't learn new tricks.

I guess to you (and others) it looks like an obsession but it is my only source or heat and the wife has to run it when I gone so sorry for being "obsessed", I can run it with out a problem and its heating the house so far but not sure how its going to work at below zero with a south wind, the Nashua had reserves for those conditions and not sure the Summit has. It does not seem like its going to take the big splits of Oak the old one did and that is how I heated the house with the strong south wind. I will quit asking questions as to not bother any one any more.

Status
Not open for further replies.