Pacific Energy Neo 2.5 insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If I remember that correctly it just came out this spring. Thus, I doubt you will find anyone who has done more than a few break-in fires so far. Try a forum search for the Neo 1.6, I think a few people have posted their impressions already.

yeah your not going to find too much feedback yet on them. We as dealers are just starting to install these units, as supply has been iffy up to now due to the amount of new product P.E. put out over the last 18 months

Thanks for the info. I have been looking at a summit insert. My problem is my house is only 1102 sf ranch. The fireplace sits in the basement,I Was looking at the neo 2.5 so I don't over heat myself and for a better view of the fire. Not sure what to get. Or could I just get away with a smaller fire in the summit. Last Michigan winter was cold . Looking to offset my gas bill.

Does the basement include the 1100 sqft and is it insulated? How far is the fireplace from the stairwell? How much fuel (oil, propane etc.) did you use last winter for heating (especially during the coldest months)?

Do you already have some dry wood?

Does the basement include the 1100 sqft and is it insulated? How far is the fireplace from the stairwell? How much fuel (oil, propane etc.) did you use last winter for heating (especially during the coldest months)?

I'm ordering a a full cord. According to the guy it

I used about between 18 -20 Mcf N-Gas per month jan-March are the coldest. The basement is not insulated. I just installed dry wall vapor barrier. 1100 sf basement as well , it a ranch house the fireplace is in the middle of the basement room, and is 17ft from the middle if the stairwell.

I ordered wood one full cord in August , the guy said 1-1-5 year seasoned

Will the insert be trying to heat the entire house and is the total including the basement 2200 sq ft? Note that a lot of heat is going to be lost through the uninsulated walls. This can lead to a lot more wood consumption, up to a third more wood!

Will the insert be trying to heat the entire house and is the total including the basement 2200 sq ft? Note that a lot of heat is going to be lost through the uninsulated walls. This can lead to a lot more wood consumption, up to a third more wood!

Yea I guess the total Sf would be that. I would like to see if I could move the heat around and try to hear the main part if the house. My living room sits above the basement fireplace.

Would a Summit fit in there? If so, I would strongly consider that as an alternative. It would give you more fuel capacity and better convection. Moving the heat is a separate topic. There are several threads with on it. Look for those words in the title.

I used about between 18 -20 Mcf N-Gas per month jan-March are the coldest. The basement is not insulated. I just installed dry wall vapor barrier. 1100 sf basement as well , it a ranch house the fireplace is in the middle of the basement room, and is 17ft from the middle if the stairwell.

A total of 2000 sqft with an uninsulated basement: You will need an insert with at least a 3 cu ft firebox for a primary heater. Potential candidates:
PE Summit
Lopi Freedom or Large Flush Hybrid Insert
Quadrafire 5100i
Regency i3100
Osburn 2400
Harman 300i
BlazeKing Princess
If you can fit an 8" liner down the chimney: Kuma Sequoia and Buck 91

You used about 18 to 20 million BTU per month that is roughly a cord per month. Thus, you will not only need a large insert but also 5 to 6 cords for a winter.
I ordered wood one full cord in August , the guy said 1-1-5 year seasoned

Many sellers have the logs sitting there and just cut them before delivery. They call that time "seasoning" although the wood barely dries in logs. I recommend getting a moisture meter (~$30 at your local hardware store) and testing the wood. Split a few pieces in half (lengthwise) and press the pins in the center of the fresh surface. Below 20% is optimal, between 20% and 25% burnable. Above that the wood needs to dry more or you need something dry like Envi-blocks, Biobricks etc. to mix it with during the burn.

Well it appears that the Summit and Neo 2.5 will fit. I can't make up my mind?
$3900 summit last year model including install.
(Apparently PE changed the design of the summit, so the guy wants to get rid of the old one. New one is $4000 including install) what’s the difference in the new design PE Summit insert?
$2450 for the neo including install.
If I go with the Neo.2.5 would the flush insert heat less than the summit, the fire box is pretty close. Would .5 less make that much of dent in heat output as opposed to the 3.0 firebox?
Also the Neo fires E-W as opposed to the summit N-S? Would this make a difference as well ?

Thanks for your time...

The quotes seem pretty low when including install. Is a full liner part of the quote?

Given your heat load, I would go with the biggest insert you can fit in there. If price is an issue maybe the Osburn 2400 would be a cheaper option for a large insert.
Most people prefer N-S loading as you can fit more wood in the same size firebox, less risk of logs rolling against the glass, and you don't have to reach in the back of the firebox. However, E-W loading is giving you slightly longer burn time.

The quotes seem pretty low when including install. Is a full liner part of the quote?

Given your heat load, I would go with the biggest insert you can fit in there. If price is an issue maybe the Osburn 2400 would be a cheaper option for a large insert.
Most people prefer N-S loading as you can fit more wood in the same size firebox, less risk of logs rolling against the glass, and you don't have to reach in the back of the firebox. However, E-W loading is giving you slightly longer burn time.

Yes this includes a RLH formally chim-flex liner system. He said I don't need the insulated liner if my flue is in good shape.

The neo I think the glass should give of allot of radiant heat I would think , but would I have to run the fans all time?

Hi All,

First post here. I am having a neo 2.5 insert installed (started on install on Oct 11th) in my 1800 Sq ft house.
Its currently 60 degrees in the home right now, so I think my better half and I will be burning soon. I will be sure to follow up with a picture of the finalized install and first burn.

Reactions: Cynnergy
I have a 1600 ft ranch with a full insulated basement. We installed a Hearthstone Clydesdale in our basement in Dec 2013. We use the basement as a den so we spend quite a bit of time there. We found that the Clydesdale will really push out the heat, but it tends to remain in the basement. In January I installed a 2nd Clydesdale in the living room above the basement. The two fireplaces are directly above one another. Now we have the ability to really generate the heat.

Procncj, yes you will need to run the fans in order to spread the heat out at all. You will also find that running the fans will help control any excess heat and help to keep you from over-firing your insert.

Before we installed #2 we could have the basement at 85f and the upper floor could still feel cold. Not so much with #2 burning.

We fired both up last Saturday morning and I was accused of trying to roast out the family!

With both fired-up we can be at comfy 80f+ in mid winter when it is zero outside! I keep the furnace set at 60 as a back-up!

I just installed the Neo 2.5 freestanding stove in our house this fall. Have had it running several times but not all day burning. I can say that it is high quality construction, the glass stays very clean as long as wood is dry and seasoned, and it appears to be quite controllable with the damper. Only complaints so far would be that the damper and door handle get pretty hot; door handle is hot but manageable, however the damper gets almost too hot to touch.

Status
Not open for further replies.