Pacific Energy 'Pacific D-1' insert baffle removal

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cearbhaill

Feeling the Heat
Nov 15, 2007
The deep end
I somehow got my baffle misaligned or the gasket out of place as my secondary burn was shooting out of the rear of the baffle instead of out of the little holes. As per advice here, my dealer, and Pacific Energy themselves I attempted to fix it myself today by removing the baffle, cleaning a bit, and repositioning the gasket. I don't believe I did any good as I am still not seeing secondary burn out of the baffle holes but I did learn quite a bit about the inside of my insert which is always a good thing.

I am posting not to ask a question, but to provide some info should anyone else ever do a search on the topic...

The baffle is heavy. :eek:hh:
The baffle is very heavy.
I don't know what I was expecting but it darn near got the best of me when I was putting it back in. The weight plus the angle you have to assume to do it made the process a bit too ungainly for me, and I consider myself an exceptionally strong woman. I got it in, but having neglected to pad the lip of the firebox I tore a forearm up pretty good trying to brace one arm on the lip for leverage.

So any other DIY women (or very girly men) out there take note. Pad the lip with an old towel and be prepared to huff and puff a bit.

Also- if the gasket is important shouldn't it be a tad bit more substantial? It was just a little bit of felt-like material- very thin and seemed likely to tear very easily. I need a six pack of 'em if this is normal.

Also, just as a bit of trivia- the glass in the door is not clear. I took the door off for the process and laid it on a white towel and it is definitely tinted- even after I cleaned it.

So... I got it all back together and see smoke exiting my chimney- that's good.
But I am not 100% confortable with it not being absolutely positively correctly done so my dealer is coming to redo it for me.
At least I tried and as I said having seen a bit of the innards of my insert I understand it a lot better now.

That's all!

Good going Toni. Ain't no Canuck wood stove gonna get the best of a Kane-tuck woman.

I don't think those gaskets seal very well to begin with. I have secondary flames coming from the back of the stove. It seems pretty common around here. I do still have plenty of flames coming from the holes in the front though. I took my baffel out when i first got the stove just to see how it fit in there before I got things dirty. Actually I didn't take it all the way out and I agree it can hard on the wrist to put it back in.

Status
Not open for further replies.