1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Pacific Energy Pacific Insert Cracks

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Lumberjack, Oct 14, 2012.

1. iceman

iceman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Springfield Ma (western mass)
    i think so too. They still just wanna weld....- reweld my stove. So yes those cracks on the inside def was the diff. I plan on getting a mirror and checking mine. If there are no interior cracks I will reweld.
    I change door gasket every year, and burn like we discuss here so if its overfiring its doing it on its own. lol
    I am starting to believe maybe my wood is to dry. So will mix it up this year.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. iceman

iceman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Springfield Ma (western mass)
    lumberjack, where did u get that surround with the holes in it?
  3. Lumberjack

Lumberjack Member

Loc:
    Western CT
    Iceman, I reworked the factory "large" surround. I felt that the stove threw more heat without the surround, but liked the look better with it installed. So I printed out the hole pattern on paper, center punched all the holes and then drilled them out. If i did it again I might get more creative with the design. I can't say that it worked or not, tough to tell but it made me feel better!

Also, regarding your cracked firebox. I am guess that you pulled it and took a wire brush to it to look for cracks. To inspect mine I stood it on its back, that really helped. That's the only way I found my interior cracks. I suspect the crack propagated from the inside out as the interior welds were not nearly as well done as the exterior. Use a good light as well. I am sure I am preaching to the choir here....

Heck if it wasn't for this forum I would be burning my old one right now, totally unaware of all the cracks, for better or worse.
  4. Lumberjack

Lumberjack Member

Loc:
    Western CT
    UPDATE

Hi All

It has been 2 months now since I received my new PE Super Insert to replace my failed Pacific Insert. I have to say that I am really liking this stove! It seems to be a whole lot more predictable than the Pacific was and has better air control. I also feel that this stove does a better job of getting the heat into the room than the Pacific did. It could be the additional cast iron on the stove or it could be the dual blowers instead of the one large blower creating better air circulation around the firebox.

I think the biggest thing was the purchase of the IR gun. I found that the face temp can really lag behind the top / collar temp, in the range of 200-300 deg F. I have also learned things like the blowers will drop the top temp 100F in 5 min or so when you go from 3/4 power to full power on them.

I have been running it with the collar hitting 650F during startup/reload and then cruising around 500 F stove top temp (with the blowers on). This seems to be a happy zone for the stove. I haven't seem any buildup on the inside of the stove or the glass so I am thinking I am in a good place temp wise.

Anyone else who is running the Super I would love to hear your thoughts on them.

Stay warm!
    certified106 likes this.
  5. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Thanks for the update Lumberjack. I had a suspicion that the door face temps were underestimating the top temp. Good to hear that you have the new insert dialed in and are getting nice results.
  6. Sisu

Sisu Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Ontario
    Hi Lumberjack! My Pacific insert was replaced with a Super too and I am getting the same results. It seems a bit more controllable and has nicer aesthetics with the cast iron.
  7. tim1

tim1 Member

Loc:
    columbia river gorge,portland or
    I rebuilt a old summit free standing stove. No cracks inside, but the baffle was really warped. Just welded it and braced it with stainless rod and works great. If you have that 5/8th hole on bottom for ebt, it is not open all the time, just start up, and end of burn for more air. Rebuilt my ebt mechanism and tested it. Tim

Attached Files:

8. certified106

certified106 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Athens, Ohio
    Lumberjack, glad to hear it was made right and you are back to burning in a great stove. I am still thoroughly enjoying my T6
  9. Lumberjack

Lumberjack Member

Loc:
    Western CT
    Tim: As far as I know, the Summit is the only insert that PE made with EBT. On both the Pacific and Super there is always a hole to feed the fire. Can shut if off unless you modify your stove / add a damper to it.

Sisu: Totally agree! Did you tweak your air control lever at all to allow you to close the stove down a bit more?

Regarding the baffle cracking and warping. My dealer told me you get one free replacement over the life of the stove and then they are ~$100 after that. I believe that baffle gets very hot if your stove top / collar hits 700F, glowing red hot that is. It seems like an area PE should redesign to better reinforce it. It must weigh at least 20lbs.
  10. Sisu

Sisu Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Ontario
    No I haven't tweaked anything. Although a higher degree of control would be nice, I not sure how the manufacturer would respond during a warranty claim if the inner workings of the stove/insert have been modified.