Pacific Energy Spectrum - Fan Grating

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavesa

Feb 28, 2009
Nova Scotia
Hi,

I'm getting a sort of grating/whining noise from the fan on my Pacific Energy Spectrum - it's about 6 years old. I'm thinking of opening up the box with the fan and taking a look and maybe lubricating it, but I wonder if anyone has experience/suggestions on this? Anyone any idea how long the fans last on average? Otherwise, the stove is great, heats the whole 2000sq ft house!

Thanks

Andrew

Maybe something accidentally was dropped in there. Got kids? Giving it a full cleaning and lube sounds like a good plan.

Hi

I took the case off the unit and it was a real mess - full of dust and cobwebs. I cleaned it out with a vacuum cleaner and then scraped the dust off the fan fins with a screwdriver and roughly cleared the dust out from by the bearings. Then I got a bottle brush and cleaned the dust off from around the bearings and finally took it outside and cleared out any remaining dust out with some compressed air. Then I switched it on and there was still a bit of grating so I put some light oil on the bearings and that seemed to cure it completely, running quieter now than it ever did in fact! My only concern is that the oil might attract dust. I did clean any surplus oil off with some kitchen roll, but still, seeing how much dust there was initially, if it got into any stray oil it would become a real goo. I think it points to cleaning up the blower as part of annual maintenance in the spring.

Thanks for the advice

Andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.