Pacific Energy Super or Summit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chris2879

Hearth Supporter
Nov 8, 2010
Western MA
So... we are going to be making a decision on a stove in the next couple days. I am not sure if the PE Summit will bake us out of the room. Our house is about 2500 sq ft colonial with the stove going into the living room. The entry is cathedral and all the bedrooms are off that on the second floor. In addition, the master sits directly above the living room. If we get the Super, i am sure it will be fine for the downstairs, but might not do so well for heating the upstairs. The price difference is about 1900 vs 2300. What would you do?

How open is the downstairs floorplan, especially to the living room where the stove will be?

The LR is about 13x20. The kitchen flows into it in the back and the entrance way in the front (both on the left side of the 20' side). Each doorway (no doors are actually there) are both about 7' wide.

I'd get the Summit. It's a convective stove and the output is easily controllable by reducing the amount of fuel fed to the stove. It burns well with just a half load of logs.

If your looking to heat as much of that 2500sf as you can, go with the Summit.
Otherwise, your going to be wishing your did.

I have the pacific insert, my house is smaller than yours(1500 sq ft) and the room the stove is in is small too (200sq ft) and the pacific does not bake us out of the room. I think you would be better served with the summit. As was mentioned these stoves are very convective so it is really easy to cut the heat back by simply turning off the blower. I love my pacific and would recommend it to anyone but I think the summit is more appropriate for you.

I agree with the rest... Go for the Summit. The high ceiling and open concept will ensure you won't get cooked out... If you start to, just put less wood in. Its better to have the extra capacity if you need it during power outages, central heat failure, etc... I do reccommend getting the fan option as well... Its another easy way to regulate the heat out put... just turn the fan down if you start to get too hot! On a side note, the Summits have been selling like hotcakes at our shop this year! We've had to have the distrtibutor send us about four or five a week to keep up with demand, and we normally carry about a dozen in stock at all times!

Status
Not open for further replies.