Pacific Energy Users only.......

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jfk4th

Minister of Fire
Feb 8, 2007
NY
I don't mean to leave others out but after watching the Canada video on "Wood Stove Operation" I noticed she had a PE stove and said you could burn east/west for a slower lower temp burn. So naturally I had to try this different way of burning. She was correct in saying you will get a lower temp burn but on my Summit, the temp goes down fast and I end with bigger chunks of ash than used to. To be more specific the stack temp is at it's best 450-500'ish and then stays around 300-350 for a while. While this temperature might not seem too bad for some the back logs (bigger splits) seem to be not fully burned and break down into chunks leaving bigger ash chunks.

I have tried burning 2 splits north/south with 3 or 4 splits east/west on top and this seems to be better but again I am not impressed with the east/west burn with this stove. I would have never thought of doing east/west burns with this stove but it seemed like the video recommended it for those that want longer burns and lower temps, at least with the mid range PE stove.

Overall I think north /south is the way to go with the Summit. Big splits with big round(s) is my motto. This is tried and true by not only myself but some of the Big Guns for PE Summit owners. I will still tinker here and there, but doing a east west burn means more ash and that is something I don't want.

Any thoughts fellow PE crew?

Sincerely,
still looking a longer burn...

I find the same thing. I will occasionally put a couple of splits e-w in the back of the firebox after raking the coals forward, to let some of those embers burn away before I push them down the ash-hole.:)
I find that when doing this, I have to have the air control open a bit more than I normally do.
When loading the firebox right up with splits N/S, I can usually run the stove with the air turned right down.

I will still have lots of embers 10 hours after re-loading the stove.

Yep, this is what I sometimes have too, thanks for the reply JimBob.

John Gulland is still a legend to me, I just watched another video of his "Firewood from Forest to Woodshed". Looks like he has the perfect setup storing the wood under is house, sweeet.....
A nice looking dog to boot!!!

I wondered about that when I watched the video too. I tend to stick with north south in my Summit insert as I find the secondary burn works better and also less danger of burning logs rolling out when I open the door. I also find that for that last load of the night, I can stuff it right full going n/s because I can jam it all in tight without anything coming in contact with the glass.

Well well, looky who shows his face ;)
Bout time sheesh.
North to South for me all the way. Once in a while I'll put N-S with a couple E-W on top for a quick heat up & coaling.

Hogwildz said:
Bout time sheesh.
North to South for me all the way. Once in a while I'll put N-S with a couple E-W on top for a quick heat up & coaling.

Yeah...I know.. :red:
Been super busy at work, and also stretching my personal time a bit (started making homemade wine) so I've been hangin' out on some winemaking forums too. I hope to combine the two interests over the rest of the winter. Heat comes first though.

Willhound said:
Hogwildz said:
Bout time sheesh.

Yeah...I know.. :red:
Been super busy at work, and also stretching my personal time a bit (started making homemade wine) so I've been hangin' out on some winemaking forums too. I hope to combine the two interests over the rest of the winter. Heat comes first though.

Wine is a close second :)

Agreed Begreen,
I have 210 bottles of shiraz that we made stashed away in my basement.

Yeah, I'm an intruder too cause I own a Woodstock. One of what Hog calls the "lil wussy stoves that only load E-W" but sometimes quality makes quantity unimportant! :p I was thinking of cutting my wood down to 8" lengths and trying N-S :lol: Any whooo..JFK, is there a link to that John Gullan video "Firewood from Forest to Woodshed"?

The Summit is a great little stove. :cheese:

BrotherBart said:
The Summit is a great little stove. :cheese:
Sheesh who let the riff raff in?, They'll let anyone in here these days won't they?
Got a bunch o wino's & old Brown eye burners ;)

karl said:
WOW!!! Bart. I'm going to bookmark this thread.

Two great pastimes. In summer whacking a hornets' nest with a baseball bat and in winter stirring up Summit owners.

BrotherBart said:
karl said:
WOW!!! Bart. I'm going to bookmark this thread.

Two great pastimes. In summer whacking a hornets' nest with a baseball bat and in winter stirring up Summit owners.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Spring and fall must be kinda slow huh? :down:

Status
Not open for further replies.