pacific energy vista w/ excel chimney please help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Elciteeve

Dec 6, 2016
Albany OR
So, I have the above chimney / stove I'm installing and the "extension pipe" that goes in the ceiling support (8" stainless from ceiling up, 6" black pipe from stove to ceiling) only seems to fit with the 8" side down. what am I missing!? I've tried everything to make it fit 6" to 6" and 8" to 8" and it flat out won't fit. If I install it the other way round it fits great.... I've searched and I can't find any answers to this. Anyone able to help me figure out what I'm doing wrong? Everything is ready to go - hole in roof and snow this week is imminent! Help is very much appreciated!

So, I have the above chimney / stove I'm installing and the "extension pipe" that goes in the ceiling support (8" stainless from ceiling up, 6" black pipe from stove to ceiling) only seems to fit with the 8" side down. what am I missing!? I've tried everything to make it fit 6" to 6" and 8" to 8" and it flat out won't fit. If I install it the other way round it fits great.... I've searched and I can't find any answers to this. Anyone able to help me figure out what I'm doing wrong? Everything is ready to go - hole in roof and snow this week is imminent! Help is very much appreciated!
When you say 8" stainless are you talking about the outside dimension of class a chimney or are you actually switching to an 8" chimney?

all pipe is 6" ID. The upper portion is 8" OD.
ok then you will just need the adapter for the bottom of the chimney. And make sure that all of the male ends of the stove pipe are pointing down and all of your chimney pipe follows the flow direction arrows on the pipe.

ok then you will just need the adapter for the bottom of the chimney. And make sure that all of the male ends of the stove pipe are pointing down and all of your chimney pipe follows the flow direction arrows on the pipe.

So it seems I'm missing an adapter then... gotcha. OK thanks! I purchased everything as a "kit" from my local stove shop. I assumed they would give me everything I needed...

So it seems I'm missing an adapter then... gotcha. OK thanks! I purchased everything as a "kit" from my local stove shop. I assumed they would give me everything I needed...
they should have do ou have a peice that fits onto the bottom of the chimney and has a stub of pipe sticking down?

they should have do ou have a peice that fits onto the bottom of the chimney and has a stub of pipe sticking down?

I think you're referring to what the installation manual refers to as the "extension" it's a 6" to 8" piece. That's the thing I can't make fit. It's about 5 or 6 inches long and fits between the ceiling support sections of chimney.

I think you're referring to what the installation manual refers to as the "extension" it's a 6" to 8" piece. That's the thing I can't make fit. It's about 5 or 6 inches long and fits between the ceiling support sections of chimney.
Ok to start you are not going from 6" to 8" you are going from 6" pipe to 6" chimney. And your bottom chimney section should have a piece on the bottom I just looked at the excel catalog and yes they call that the extension. Are you sure you are putting it on the correct end of the chimney section?

Ok to start you are not going from 6" to 8" you are going from 6" pipe to 6" chimney. And your bottom chimney section should have a piece on the bottom I just looked at the excel catalog and yes they call that the extension. Are you sure you are putting it on the correct end of the chimney section?

As far as I can tell. It *looks* like it would fit just like the other sections of chimney. But it won't go. It seems kinda delicate so I don't want to just ram it in since it's not fitting like the other pieces do.

As far as I can tell. It *looks* like it would fit just like the other sections of chimney. But it won't go. It seems kinda delicate so I don't want to just ram it in since it's not fitting like the other pieces do.
Does it fit on the other end of the pipe ok? Do the chimney sections have directional arrows on them?

Does it fit on the other end of the pipe ok? Do the chimney sections have directional arrows on them?

It doesn't really fit in either end if i mate chimney to chimney and pipe to pipe. All the pipe / chimney have arrows on them and all of them are pointing up.

All the pipe / chimney have arrows on them and all of them are pointing up.
ok that is a good start you have it all running the right direction at lease. Can you post some pics of the adapter and how it fits into the chimney section?

ok that is a good start you have it all running the right direction at lease. Can you post some pics of the adapter and how it fits into the chimney section?

I'm at work for another two hours, but I will when I get home. (Yes I left a big hole in my roof... it's not supposed to snow *today*... I checked like 80 times and also covered the hole as best I could temporarily :x don't judge me. I have been freaking out quietly to myself all day, even though it's sunny as can be.)

I'm at work for another two hours, but I will when I get home. (Yes I left a big hole in my roof... it's not supposed to snow *today*... I checked like 80 times and also covered the hole as best I could temporarily :x don't judge me. I have been freaking out quietly to myself all day, even though it's sunny as can be.)
Dont feel bad I have left holes in roofs plenty of times before. I don't like it but sometimes there is no other option

Dont feel bad I have left holes in roofs plenty of times before. I don't like it but sometimes there is no other option

So I swapped out one of the sections of Chimney and it seems like the bottom and was bent and that's why I couldn't make it fit. It was sort of oval shapes just a little too much to really see very well but once I switched out a different piece, it worked out okay. I was able to fit the other pieces of Chimney into it just fine so that's what I did however now my question is for the stove pipe the only way I can make it fit into the extension is by wrapping around the outside of the extension is this correct? All of the other pieces of stove pipe fit into the inside of the next one above it. So it seems weird that this one would fit to the outside

All of the other pieces of stove pipe fit into the inside of the next one above it. So it seems weird that this one would fit to the outside
is this single wall or double wall stove pipe?

then it is all going correctly the inner layer of the double wall is going the right direction the outside is reversed. so all of the male ends on the interior are facing down and the adapter is as well.

then it is all going correctly the inner layer of the double wall is going the right direction the outside is reversed. so all of the male ends on the interior are facing down and the adapter is as well.

Extra big thank you as it snowed over night! I was able to finish everything up only working in the dark for about 15 minutes. Everything I read suggested the roofing sealant wasn't going to be harmed by the mild heat of the chimney (and maybe even helped by it in this cold weather) so I lit a test fire. Everything works great! (well it seems to anyway. Hopefully everything goes smoothly for many years.) Anyway big thanks again, I now have heat in my home! (Just built the hearth last week and need to do a bit of point work on the front still.)

20170102_182647_zpso5kurgz9.jpg

Reactions: bholler