Pacific Eng Super 27 vr True North 20

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Skidoo

Jan 10, 2020
Barrie, Ontario
Good evening All.
1st post here. So please be kind...
Need to replace the wood stove we have at the cottage. It’s in the Muskoka area of Ontario. Temps are -10/-20c typically over the winter months. With the odd night pushing -40. It’s primarily weekend use in the winter. 1,200sqft. One floor.
We currently have an old Heritage Wood stove. It’s so old there is no certification on the stove. (40ish years). It burns a lot of wood.
I think I want to go with the Pacific Energy Super 27 ($2208). However, I recently discovered the True North TN20 ($1249).
I’m trying to decide what the better value is. Is the PE 27 worth the extra $1,000?
Besides the dimensions being a bit smaller on the TN20, what else is different as they are both manufactured by PE.
I look forward to some advice.
Thanks!

I'm currently burning a TN20 in a 1500 square foot house all on one floor in northeast PA, it heats well to 10-15 degrees F in our decently insulated house. Lower than that we rely on a coal boiler. However, I know nothing about the PE27.

Pacific Energy builds a good stove, in fact they build both these models.

My parents run a Pacific Energy Super 27, its been an awesome stove for them, they heat a total of 2600sqft with it in a similar climate, except they have 9" thick walls so loose very little heat. They have burnt in the range of 60 cords of woods through it in the last 15years, and have only had to replace firebricks every few years and the baffle once 3 years ago.

Reactions: Jan Pijpelink
The Super 27 is the fully-featured 2 cu ft model. The TN20 is the value model. There are several differences. The TN20 has a conventional secondary tube construction with a baffle board above. It's a decent heater that has a square firebox for those looking to load N/S or E/W. Legs, ashlip, etc. are all simple affairs to keep the cost down. There is no ashdump or ashpan. The Super series has the trademark integrated stainless baffle/secondary air supply with no tubes. The side rails are also stainless. The door, convection lid, ashlip, legs (or pedestal) are nicer and it has and ashdump/ashpan. The unique feature on the Super series has been the regulated secondary air supply. This contributes to exceptionally good burn times for a 2 cu ft stove. In the pre 2020 models this was done with a linked air control. The new LE model gets the EBT2 which is a barometric draft regulated supply for the secondary.

The new LE model gets the EBT2 which is a barometric draft regulated supply for the secondary.
How exactly does that work? Stronger draft just pulls the secondary air inlet flap open more? Can't really tell from the pics on their website..

Reactions: Woody Stover
Since it's a "cottage," I'm guessing that weatherization of the structure might not be all that great. If so, on those cold nights you'll appreciate the extra output that the Spectrum provides. You should stay warm with either stove, I'd think.
If, like me, you're not averse to spending a little more for quality, go for it. You're already half way to $2K with the TN-20 anyway. ;)
I got my SIL a 2019 T5 recently, and I like what I see; "Full-feature" stove, as begreen said. It should extract more heat from each load, so you can view that as savings. Easy maintenance as well; Just remove one pin, then remove baffle to sweep the chimney.

The Super 27 is the fully-featured 2 cu ft model. The TN20 is the value model. There are several differences. The TN20 has a conventional secondary tube construction with a baffle board above. It's a decent heater that has a square firebox for those looking to load N/S or E/W. Legs, ashlip, etc. are all simple affairs to keep the cost down. There is no ashdump or ashpan. The Super series has the trademark integrated stainless baffle/secondary air supply with no tubes. The side rails are also stainless. The door, convection lid, ashlip, legs (or pedestal) are nicer and it has and ashdump/ashpan. The unique feature on the Super series has been the regulated secondary air supply. This contributes to exceptionally good burn times for a 2 cu ft stove. In the pre 2020 models this was done with a linked air control. The new LE model gets the EBT2 which is a barometric draft regulated supply for the secondary.
Thanks for your response, a question for you, a conventional secondary tube with the baffle board. Is that the same kind of thing that is used in other stoves,? And the baffle board can be easily damaged ?

Since it's a "cottage," I'm guessing that weatherization of the structure might not be all that great. If so, on those cold nights you'll appreciate the extra output that the Spectrum provides. You should stay warm with either stove, I'd think.
If, like me, you're not averse to spending a little more for quality, go for it. You're already half way to $2K with the TN-20 anyway. ;)
I got my SIL a 2019 T5 recently, and I like what I see; "Full-feature" stove, as begreen said. It should extract more heat from each load, so you can view that as savings. Easy maintenance as well; Just remove one pin, then remove baffle to sweep the chimney.
You are correct weatherization is something we are improving, we used to call it the big wooden tent. :)
I’m not adverse to the price point, but was just trying to get a handle on why the extra $1,000.
What is a SIL 2019 T5?
The knife edge door, the secondary burn baffle, floating box, all seem like good features.
Would one expect to get 6-8 hours of burn from these stoves ? At least wake up to coals ?

Good evening All.
1st post here. So please be kind...
Need to replace the wood stove we have at the cottage. It’s in the Muskoka area of Ontario. Temps are -10/-20c typically over the winter months. With the odd night pushing -40. It’s primarily weekend use in the winter. 1,200sqft. One floor.
We currently have an old Heritage Wood stove. It’s so old there is no certification on the stove. (40ish years). It burns a lot of wood.
I think I want to go with the Pacific Energy Super 27 ($2208). However, I recently discovered the True North TN20 ($1249).
I’m trying to decide what the better value is. Is the PE 27 worth the extra $1,000?
Besides the dimensions being a bit smaller on the TN20, what else is different as they are both manufactured by PE.
I look forward to some advice.
Thanks!

I use a Pacific energy Super insert to heat my whole house (2100 sq feet) it doesn't get as cold as your area, but i'm sure the stove would have no problems heating your house without a problem.

I love the stove, it's super efficient, and super easy to maintain. On top of that PE customer support is great - One of the fans on my stove started making a high pitched noise and they came out and replaced both fans for me.

Don't know much about the TN20, but i can tell you you wont be disappointed with a PE Super

Would one expect to get 6-8 hours of burn from these stoves ? At least wake up to coals ?
Next door neighbor has a 2010 Spectrum (same firebox). He easily gets 8-10 hr burns with the stove, sometimes 12hrs. And that is with softwood. That said, if it's zero degrees outside, your daytime fires may be shorter if you are pushing the stove for a 700+º stove top.